Oehlbach Silver Stream Type 1226 Speaker Cables

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Silver based speaker cables

Submitted by gstarcev a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the reviewfor the Oehlbach XXL series 4 speaker cable. It is simply the best buy speaker cable considering the price/value criteria. It is not cheap, probably looks expencive to the most, but considering that the real high end speaker cables by other manufactorers costs almost twice that much if they are achiving the similar sound quality - it is the cable that you must hear first in this price category. Don't let the more famous brands to fool you - only their top dogs at two or three times this price can compete with this Oehlbach great product.

Purchased At:   Germany

Submitted by EeTeong Teoh a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1998

Bottom Line:
IN THE BEGINNING:Ah, the 1226. Alas...Germany's Oehlbach's release of a speaker cable bundled with all my expectations of a performing silver based cable. When my dealer told me the 1226 was at his doorstep, I immediately started the car and off I went. Within 15 minutes, I was there. We opened the box together, and there it was. What a beauty. It was built with a flat approach. Unlike Nordost's cables, it wasn't entirely flat.

THE AUDITION:
We bi-wired the 1226 to a pair of Harbeth HL-P3s. The Harbeths were driven by a Denon S10 II Stereo Amplifier and the digital source came from a Marantz CD-17 KI-Signature CD Player. Interconnects were complimentary of Nordost where the Blue Heaven resided. We left the system for a warmup of 30 minutes before attempting to really listen to it. 30 minutes have passed. I found a great deal of difficulty having the time passed.

Ah, the warmness was there but the highs weren't sacrificed. Transparency shone but somehow the lows didn't satisfy me enough. Clearly shows, the 1226 aren't for bass freaks. Maybe the burn-in for the 1226 required a longer period of time before its full potential is revealed. Classical and casual listeners will most benefit from the 1226. Nevertheless, I brought home a 2.5M pair myself and what do you know, its been half a year now and yes, I'm still keeping them.

CONCLUSION:
The 1226 is a cable with dignity. It squashes its predecessor...the 1220. You need to listen to understand and appreciate them before you'll eventually rest. Treat it carefully and place them OFF grounds. Audition the 1226 to see if you're able to experience what I did. Who knows, you might just appreciate it as much as I.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile