Nordost Red Dawn Interconnect Speaker Cables

4.84/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Drakenforst a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Id heard all the this n that around cables and connectors, the theories and the anti theory theories, I have had various cables and connectors in the past, many very well respected...

But Id bought a pair of Red dawn RCA 0.6m interconnect on a gut instinct and was , well hard to describe accurately....
Im running a Musical Fidelity X-P100 into a Prima Luna Prolouge Four, Id been running this setup up for over half a year with some very fine home made loudspeakers sporting Beymer 8" woofers and Scan-speak 1" Dome 2094 series.
I was stunned by how different my system sounded when I added the Red Dawns between my pre and power amps, I was lacking some bass in my system, it was all there, smooth and powerful with all the bandwidth clean and crisper than before yet even warmer and fuzzier too! Yes I am hearing my system properly now. And its awesome from any source...

I had read many reviews before purchasing them, and a few reviewers mentioned it was system dependent, Although I havent as yet heard them with any other system, I suspect this could be the case, but they are utterly perfect in my system, + they look the part too.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by YAS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased a Nordost Red Dawn Interconnect because I felt my sound system was not firing on all cylinders. It comprises of a ARCAM CD72T, MICHELL GYRODEC/ QC POWER SUPPLY,MF A5cr PRE and A5 PWR AMPLIFIERS, KEF REF 1;2 SPKS cabling was VDH D102 111 HYBRID and VDH CLEARTRACK.

Before I bought the RD interconnectst the sound was just too smooth and muddy in the midrange. I recently purchased the MF A5 amps on EBAY and thought I had made a big mistake. I contacted a few MF owners and they told me to try Chord or Nordost I chose Nordost Red Dawn after reading the reviews on Google.
I was lucky to purchase a pair of RD interconnects on Ebay and got a good bargain . Well when I plugged it in between my Pre and Pwr the sound that came out of my speakers was astonishing, no more lumpy smooth midrange but a sound of fantastic speed, it actually felt like my amps had been given a dosage of steroids the sound was so fast and detailed you can say I was over the moon.
I had realised the fault was not with my high end amplifers but the use of midrange interconnects which are more suited for budget to midrange systems.
I would like to buy another pair to connect between my CD Player and Pre Amplifier as well.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
This cable is expensive but if you get it online they are reasonable. The Nordost Red Dawn is thrilling to listen to. The bass is tight but not overwhelming. The mid-range is spot on, sweet, detailed without being harsh. The top end has air with extensions. The guitar seems to linger longer with this cable. Vocal based music such as Nora Jones and Diana Krall are very enjoyable. This cable is very neautral and very revealing. It is a a fantastic cable with my system. My system is listed below:

Rotel 1066 processor (surround)
Simaudio Titan (5 channel amp)
Musical Fidelity A324 DAC mated with
Pioneer A563A universal player (SACD, DVD-A, CD) --- connected with Nordost Red Dawn
Samsung HD931 dvd player
Speakers: Martin Logan Ascent, Theater i, and Martin Logan Scenario
Subwoofer: Infinity HPS1000 (1000 watts)
Turntable: Rega P3 (connected with Red Dawn)
Powerconditioner: Monster HTS1000
Cables: Nordost, Kimber, Straight wire

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by uwiik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Throw away the RD RCA, get RD XLR. Way too much faster response than the RCA, much cleaner sound, tighter bass.

Submitted by uwiik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Oh, am I glad I got rid of the old qed qunex silver spiral(which received 5 stars award in what hifi). Ooo yeah, the silver spiral just sound like the speaker been wrapped with paper bag, rubbish sound. Then I pluged in the red dawn RCA to my system, am I glad, hell yeah!!! Excellent sound staging/separation, I can really feel like the singer is really singing in front of me, deep tight sound. It's a bit bright when I'm still using the Jamo Cornet speaker, but once I swapped it to Dynaudio contour S1.4, it became a totally different world, PERFECT COMBINATION!!! Can't wait for my new Red Dawn XLR, want to hear the difference between RCA and XLR.

My system:
Meridian 507.20 Cd player
Musical Fidelity F22/FX Pre-power
Dynaudio Contour S1.4
Chord Company chorus (cd-Pre)
QED Silver anniversary SPkr cable.

Purchased At:   Ebay