Monster Cable MVR3-2M Video Cable Speaker Cables

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by johnny26 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have tried monster video 3 cable for composite video, s-video and component video. The component video was actually the "Monster video Gamelink 400 series" for both the Xbox and the Playstation 2, which are on a par with "Monster video 3" cable, and are also a good buy compared to the normal mv3 component cables, esp. here in Canada. I also used the Gamelink 300 S-video cable for the Playstation 2.
I have to say, based on my experience with monster cables, that monster makes pretty good, albeit pricey video cables.
Yes, video cables do make a difference, but obviously whether the difference is noticeable, I think, depends on a few factors: The resolution and quality of your tv monitor; how observant you are (how good your eyes are),how cynical you are etc.
With the Ps2 and the Xbox component video cables, I noticed an immediate and definite improvement in quality over generic cables. The black level especially, was quite enhanced. The overall picture on various games seemed smoother, yet the sprites (moving objects) had much sharper outlines, as if I had turned up the sharpness on my Toshiba pureflat monitor. Colours were also a little more vivd, and the contrast was improved considerably too.I don't believe in cable "burn-in" any more, because the picture was improved the moment I had connected the cables.
I had tried the Interac component video cable (manufactured by Acoustic Research) for the Ps2 and saw virtually no difference over generic component cables.
For the Xbox I had previously used the little av packs manufactured by Microsoft, and first used Acoustic Research pros for the component video. There was no difference from generic cables. After the Ar pros I tried the expensive Monster video 3 component cables with the Xbox av pack, and noticed much sharper picture and enhanced black level.That was when I decided to get the Monster Gamelink 400 for the Xbox, and noticed a big improvement over the av packs, which have, by nature, a lot of signal distortion compared to the Monster cables.
I now use a simple 4-way av selector for connecting my Xbox, Ps2 and my dvd player. Even though the selector is made for composite video with stereo analog, it seems to work okay for component video, despite what the guy at Radioshack told me. With Monster component video 3 conected to the output on the selector, the clarity of the monster video cable is retained almost flawlessly.My dvd has AR Pro series 2 component cables, and although they have nitrogen gas injected dielectrics (just like Monster has been using in its video 3 cables for a long time)I don't see much of a difference over standard component cables.
I have also tried Monster Gamelink 300 s-video for the ps2. I noticed a definite improvement over the Interac S-video.The picture was sharper, and there was less color bleeding.The picture was so good in fact, that it looked almost as good as the picture from a generic component video cable might.
I notice Monster video 3 has copper conductors, yet it still performs better than come of its silver conductored counterparts.This leads me to wonder how good the picture from my game systems would look with Monster "Z" series video cable.
Don't waste time with composite video cable. You won't see much of a difference from cable to cable, (except maybe slightly better black level), because it is mainly used for vcr s which have terrible resolution compared to dvds.
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I have definitely seen an improvement after using monster video cables.
I agree with a previous reviewer who says the cables are flimsy in construction. Though they perform better, they are not as sturdy in craftsmanship as Acoustic Research cables.

Purchased At:   London Drugs

Submitted by glassfan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
JUNK- no more Monster cables for me!

This review is for the Monster Video3 2m S-video cable.

I treat my equipment with kid gloves, and TWO of these cables quit working, found that the soldered connections became broken due to poor soldering job and tiny wires. I've noticed Monster now encases the soldered connections in clear plastic to beef up the ends of the cables so they don't fall apart so easily, but it simply covers up the lousy soldering job.

Submitted by jtmx39 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought a new JVC Progressive Scan DVD player and a Panasonic HDTV flat screen TV. I also bought the Monster Video 3 Component Cable. The DVD player came with a cheap component cable that I tried first. I was impressed with the HDTV picture. I tried the Monster cable and the picture did seem clearer and the color was fuller. The cables are very well built on the connector end. One of mine wants to unscrew when you disconnect it but that is probably how it is put together. The cables do stay in place and I had difficulty getting them off.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by WHARF1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I PURCHASED THESE HIGH QUALITY CABLES TO CONNECT MY DENON 2800 DVD PLAYER TO MY DENON 4800 A/V RECIEVER. THE COLOR SATURATION IS VERY GOOD AND THE DOUBLE IMAGING I WAS GETTING FROM MY "AR" CABLES IS GONE. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THESE CABLES TO ANYONE. GOOD CABLES DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE. DONT BE FOOLED BY THE AVERAGE CONSUMER THAT DOES NOT PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

Purchased At:   BEST BUY

Submitted by Kyse Safe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
try bettercables.com component video cables. If you do not like them get a refund. Then go to the store and get the Monster video 3 component cables. Both probably have their simularities and differences. It is nice to view them on your TV screen. Cables are easier to return than any other good. Credit card payment is forbidden.

Purchased At:   Circuit City