Monster Cable MCX-2s Speaker Cables

2.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $2.00

Price is per foot. Speaker Cables

Submitted by CJ1111 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was given these cables as a warranty replacement for a pair of THX 1000 cables I owned that the terminations fell off of. I was never told they were going to switch my cables to these before I shipped my THX 1000 cables. When I recieved them I was disappointed all around. The cables I shipped weighed 4.5lbs and these weighed 1.1lbs! Being an audiophile I know its not always about weight and gauge. I own a pair of Nordest cables that are only 1.5lbs but are also made of silver and the important part sound tremendous. After listening to the MCX-2 cables I can say they were not designed to handle any current. At low volume they sounded OK, but after putting some power through them the music just became bass heavy and garbled. No separation no detail just boomy noise. These being auditioned on a Parasound HCA-3500 the same the THX 1000 cables were once connected to. After my disappointment I contacted Monster Cable and was given a run around and eventually ignored. My advice is to go with a different cable manufacturer at this price point because even with the lifetime warranty that just means they will give you what-ever junk they can't sell for the warranty. One last note, after some research I found that the THX 1000 cables are 12awg and the MCX-2 are 14awg. Seems fair huh?

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Being new to the audio world I take everything I hear about any product with a grain of salt. I reccently purchased some of this wire and was unsure if I wasted my money at first. About a week after I got it all hooked up, the sound was great. I could tell a difference in the way my cds sounded. The sound opened up and the highs were well defined and the bass was tight and very controled. I could not believe that speaker wire would make such a difference it the sound. For an entry level speaker wire, the MCX 2s is well worth the money. It will not make up for flaws in your system, but it will enhance the quality of the sound, and it is cheap enough that your wife won't try to strangle you for buying it in the first place. I mean in an age where you can spend a grand on a set of speaker cables, it is nice to see a product that is affordable and funtional.For less than the price of dinner you too can have better sound.

High End: