Monster Cable M950i Speaker Cables

4.08/5 (12 Reviews)

Audio Interconnect Cable

Submitted by Will Berdan II a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Recently I sold my "reference" interconnect (balanced AudioQuest Anaconda) and needed to put in the old standby, the Monster M950i (2m in length) that I have laying around. To say that I was dissapointed would be an understatement- but, keep in mind that the cable that it was replacing cost about 10x as much. The Monster cable seems to suck out a lot of the midrange... it actually sounded best to me on heavy metal music. I actually enjoy this cable while listening to Slayer or Sepultura- the (apparent) midrange attenuation seemed to make the music somewhat heavier (I mean it made the guitars seem thicker, not heavy as in bass heavy).
This cable also has a 'laid back' characteristic. There was a rounding of bass, but it didnt bother me much. Perhaps most notably, this cable raised the noise floor in my system by about 6 to 10db. This Monster picks up a lot of hum, and I have the interconnects no where near the power cords.
Anyone buying this cable might want to go to radio shack and also but a couple ferrite clamps (also called RF chokes).
I don't consider this interconnect a good value, and the lower end AudioQuest interconnects definetely outperform this one in every way.

To sum up...
The Monster isn't offensive to listen to, but it doesn't deliver like some other 100$ interconnects do.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by sayjul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
These Cables are great, I've owned them for few years now. Compared with the AQ Viper, they sound almost the same, which is not bad for $100 cables, compared to $200. Don't get me wrong I'm a Big Fan of AQ. They are worth the bucks, nice bass, great high, great resolution, smoothness, easier to hear.

Here is my set up for the test,

Wadia 860x, Krell KMA-100, Icon Parsec 3-way, Speakers cables:AQ Green HL and Elco Power cables. Happy Listening!

Submitted by Karl a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good cable, gets out of the way. Not much more to say than that. Many in this price range are comprable--no special deal at this price, but no problems either.

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Submitted by Russell Ruggiero a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:

Dear

Reader

M 950i from Mosnter Cable is a fine offering. Below are my findings on this product.

Top. Smooth and open. KCAG and M 1000i are far more extended. Rating B-

Mid. Warm and natural. Nothing wrong in this space. Rating B

Low. Big and fat. Rating B+

In a nutshell, M 950i is an excellent product, but M 1000i is a better offering. The extra $70 per meter is well worth the additional cost. While M 950i provides the listener with good sound, M 1000i is a true glimpse in to high-end audio.

Purchased At:   Audiofx

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used the 1/2 m lengths in about 6 locations, the most critical being between my CEC 5100z CD player and Stax SRM-3/ Lambda signature headphones. The improvement over the supplied cable was enormous. Admittedly, the cost is not slight although these were not the most expensive out there.
One added advantage appears to be rejection from electromagnetic interference. I had been using ferrite filters on all the power cords and found after using better interconnects that 1) I didn't need the ferrites anymore and 2) they actually impaired the sound. I only use them now on the TV and DVD player.
I also use Progold on the contact surfaces, something which both improves sound and lubricates the connectors so that I have not experienced the damaging effect of the "Turbine" connectors that some reviewers have complained about with MC products. I don't know what ultimately can be done with connectors since I certainly do not want loose-fitting connectors, which in my experience not only cause sound interruptions but have caused my amp fuses to blow, fortunately not the amp itself. The Turbines are still much more usable than the Audioquest connectors, which I am afraid to remove from their installation for fear of breaking the RCA jacks. On the other hand, how often do you need to unplug connectors anyway?
In short the 950i's are a good product probably worth their price.