Kimber Kable 8VS Speaker Cables

4.43/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $148.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by Henry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am and will always be a big fan of KimberKable product's . Have been a aspiring Audiophile for the last 25 year's . And will not use anything else (if it ain't broke do not fix it) ,interesting enough how some people say there is no difference . I currently run 8tc,8vs, and 8pr thru my system. Mostly designed for music , but with home theater capabilities . Same speaker's , same equipment ,but with very noticeable differences . Depending on your budget and application you cannot lose with any of there speaker cables thru out there product line . I applaud the manufacturers of KimberKable for there developing a high quality product that will not disappoint : )

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by RC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Never thought switching cables from Monsters Z1 to Kimber 8vs would make such a big diference. The bass seems more in phase with the highs.. The highs on the other hand came to life with these cables. Bi-wiring did not work to my liking. The highs were a little bright..perhaps it's my room dimensions/characteristics & system (25x15 hardwood floors). My system: Onkyo 797, Polks RTi100 fronts, CSi40 center, FX500i surrounds, Def tech 200tl sub.

Purchased At:   Speakerlab

Submitted by Todd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
First things first, Good job Kimber. I was a little sceptical at first but as many before me I am now a true believer. The 8VS is a very nice cable clean and open. My sound stage is much larger cant find the speakers witch is just what the docter ordered. I am going to buy some 4VS for my rears to make a nice match. Again nice job Kimber.

Purchased At:   Creative Sound

Submitted by Hifi_lc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
To save money, I bought a used pair and terminated by myself. It was 16 wires per end. I then simply put a usual banana plug on Amplifier end and let my Celestion 6SL take the bare end. The sound was remarkably different than the Kimbers 4TC I used. First, about the highs, the 4TC has better (or may I say, more bright) highs. 4TC sounds a little bit more extended in highs. Is that good? Depends! To my 6SL, the more extented high could mean a little too bright. If you have dull speakers, the 4TC is for you. The 8VS sounds smoother in highs, which helped with bringing more mid sounds out. Secondly, with more mids singing out, the image depth is significantly improved. If you read the reviews for Kimber's 4TC, among words of praise, you never see "deep image depth". So I think I am not alone one this matter. The 8VS has better image depth. The solidity and neutrality of the 8VS make my symphony CD's sound more real. The strings are better separated. The bass is not heavy at all. As a matter of fact, the bass sounds a little heavier from 4TC. However, that did not help the image depth. The width of image from 4TC could be a hair better than that from 8VS. However, overall, I prefer 8VS's image. For orchestra, the 8VS make my Celestion's 6SL sound clearer, with better resolution. Although the highs from 8VS sounds weaker than 4TC, the 8VS still has more extented highs than Audioquest's Type 4+. The Type 4+ does have "butter smooth effect". But it is built on the roll off of highs. If you have a dull speaker, you'd better avoid the Type 4+. The Type 4+ also has stronger bass. But it is only for the upper bass part, not for the whole bass part. I am not using subwoofers here. I use it only when I play DVD movies. So obviously, the 8VS is a better choice for my system. The 4TC sounds as if I raised the treble by +2, and raised the bass by +1. This effect could fit your needs. However, to me I prefer more neutral sound. I would like to try 8TC also. If 8TC is better, I will upgrade my system to 8TC. However, for the price of 8VS, I do recomemd it to every one.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Q a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
This stuff really detailed the treble. I'm using it for the upper end of passive Bi-amping, and it really helped with the mids and high's. Of course my only real comparo is my previous stuff: Perfect Interface 12Ga...Nothing special, but it drives the woofers now. Seems to do a real good job of keeping the system noise floor at inaudible levels as well. $50 bucks for 20 feet (demo). Cant be beat for that price, IMHO.
The multiple strands can be a bear to work with, and the pure thick strands of copper can break easily when bent after the insulation has been removed. No big deal.

Associated Equip:
Legacy Focus
Bryston B-60R
Cinepro 600x2se (yes, that's a combo of about 600WPC into 4 ohms, thank you, not that I ever push its limits.)
Yamaha 755CD (weakest link in chain???)

FGH 26: