Kimber Kable 8PR Speaker Cables

4.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $120.00

Speaker Cable

Submitted by henry lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just finshed wiring my rear and centre channel's. I must say I have not had such a feeling of fullfillment such as this in quite a while. Took me a bit to completly finish wiring my whole system but I must say worth every cent. I have even surprised myself, I have just wiring my 4th pair of speaker's with kimber(9 in total). My vast array consist's of 8tc,8vs.8pr and tonik. KimberKable for life. Thanx Kimber

Submitted by ournewceleb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
There has been a lot said here, so I dont have too much more to add.

I have been using these speakers cables for my center channel (biamped), and now I have also been using them for my two front speakers (also biamped). I replaced my old Cardas Crosslink (which was bi-wired). I noticed a huge improvement, which is both a function of the bimamping and speaker cable change, of course. Finally, I replaced my rear channel speaker wires and that was a huge revelation (improvement!) in sound.

Great for music and movie. There may be better speaker cables out there if one explored the stratosphere but within this price range I love these cables.

One final note, I decided to have these professional terminated, which made these very convenient. I agreemnt with some of the previous reviewers here that due to the number of wires and their bulk, it can be cumbersome to do yourself.

Another key point I picked up on is at the store where I bought these, they were using this very cable in their "reference systems" even though they were selling other speakers cables that were far more expensive. That tells you something!

Purchased At:   Speaker Labs

Submitted by cappa69 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V2400 Receiver and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers. Rest of my system consists of Yamaha K-903 Dual Deck Cassette player and a Sony Playstation for Games/DVD/CD playing. To start with I used the stock cable (18AWG) from my old system with the new system too. The lows, mids and highs were all muddy but still decent. I upgraded to Monster XP 16 AWG and I could see some improvement. I then upgraded again to Monster XP 12 AWG superflat and felt that the highs have become more defined while the base was a little punchier. After reading all the good reviews on this site for Kimber Kable 8PR I finally decided to give it a try. I got an un-terminated 10 feet pair of this cable from a local dealer. The previous Monster cables I tried were not bi-wired but I decided to bi-wire the Kimber 8PR. The results were good. I felt that the highs were more defined and closer to what I expected from my music system. The base was more punchy and less muddy. I'm a casual listner and not an audiophile but I could feel a subtle improvement in all frequencies. Even my wife who does not pay attention to music delivery quality ever made a comment that the vocals and drums were both playing better. This is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison though. The monster cable was broken-in since it was used for a while while the Kimber 8PR was installed only yesterday and I'm sure that the 8PR will improve over time. Also, the monster was not bi-wired while Kimber 8PR was bi-wired at the speaker end so maybe some of this improvement was a result of bi-wiring. Overall I did feel that Kimber 8PR was reproducing the music better and once it is broken in, it will only get better.

The cable is built solid and is heavy and thick. Insulation material is solid and the copper conductors are easy to twist and they stay in place when being pushed into the banana. This was a constant annoyance with Monster XP 12 AWG superflat that had very thin copper conductor strands that cannot be twisted to become firm and every time I pushed the Monster's ccopper conductors into the banana, they sagged. It is very difficult to terminate 8PR yourself so buy pre-terminated 8PR if you don't want to spend the time doing it yourself. I took a solid 2 hours to terminate a 10 feet pair myself with 2 bananas on amp side and 4 bananas on the speaker side. The cables come with some instructions on how to terminate it but I had to call Kimber's number in Utah to get more instructions. They're very helpful and informative. The wire is difficult to manipulate and my fingers were sore by the time I was done. I think it was well worth it though. Kimber is one of the few cables that are designed for biwire i.e. you don't have to buy two separate cables to bi-wire but rather separate the strands into two groups on one side to greate more terminations. This is a great benefit.

Purchased At:   Local Kimber Kable D

Submitted by whiskeytango6 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have always believed that the hype of cables and "room tuners" etc. was just voo-doo and advertising panache'. Well, I was enlightened! I am starting to upgrade my modest system (Onkyo reciever, Whafedale Emerald 97 speakers) to a super system thru the rest of this year into 2004. I purchased Kimber 8pr speaker cable in a 4 meter length just to see if I could hear any difference over the monster cable 10g I was using. I'm not an "audiophile", don't have a "reference system", just a guy with a decent stereo hookup. (Audio Alchemy cd transport and decoder). Know what? I could hear a difference, for the first time in my life I could hear a difference in the music! It was an "Oh my God" type of moment! The soundstage became wider, deeper. I used Windom Hill's "Solace" DVD as a test subject. The bass was at the forfront, separated, The persence of bongo's on "The Gift" by Jim Brickman suddenly lept out, I had never heard them before. The highs were a little harsh overall but after about 40 hrs. of burn in it had balanced out nicely. If your a regular guy like me who was skeptical then buy these cables and HEAR the difference. You will not be disappointed!

Purchased At:   audio-advisor

Submitted by biggarthomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I was skeptical about the difference that "wire" would make to my system. I have been using skinny wires that would be as unobtrusive as possible. Recently, when we moved to a different house, I was delighted to find that the previous owner ran his speaker cables under the living room floor, just as I had in my former home. But my old PSB speakers sounded flat and unappealing. I decided that I would get new speakers (I had been looking at speakers for 2 years). I settled on the KEF Q65.2s (see my review of these fabulous speakers). However, since the KEFs are bi-wireable, I decided to research new speaker cables. The reviews on this page and their availability helped me decide to buy the 8PRs. I also have a very long run of about 25ft between my speakers and system so cost was a factor.
I connected the 8PR to my old PSBs while awaiting delivery of the KEFs. WOW!! Both my wife and I thought that we were listening to brand new speakers, had I screwed up - should I have gone to the expense of buying the KEFs? The dynamic range, tonality and everything else of the PSBs just jumped through the roof. We could not get enough of our "new" system. Then the KEFs arrived and I simultaneously purchased and hooked up a second Quad 303 power amp. Friends, I'm in audio heaven. I do not need a thing just more time to listen to my new system. I thought that my wife was going to use the 8PR to terminate me never mind the speakers. So now we have four great big cables lying around the perimeter of our living room (a place with a parlor like attitude). Lo and behold, we both like the look and feel of the cables they make a powerful statement.

Purchased At:   American Sound of Ca