Kimber Kable 4VS Speaker Cables

4.31/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $82.00

Submitted by stuermer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
Back in 2002 my wife decided to buy me a set of speakers for my birthday. She laid out a budget number that she would pay for, and let me run free at VanL speakerworks. After exceeding my planned budget by stepping up to a terrific pair of PSB Stratus-i speakers (4Ohm), I needed to go easy on cable cost. John from VanL set me up with a single terminated run of 4VS, and said that I could come back in the future and get it bi-wired if I did not like the sound. Agree with Salby that the clarity was good, but I was somewhat disappointed with the low-end.

After about 4months of listening to this somewhat disappointing configuration, I brought the cables back and John reconfigured them as a shotgun bi-wire of 4VS (not a job for DIY-ers). I hoooked these up and even my wife looked up from what she was reading and remarked "WOW! that sounds GREAT!" The lower frequencies completely opened up, and the midrange and mid-highs retained all the lush detail as before. I had now experienced the acoustic version of a Claritin commercial, where every instrument came alive in vivid color.

More recently, I bought a new Outlaw 7x200 power amp, and decided to run only a 5.1 system so that I might bi-amp my mains. Rather than break up the bi-wired shotgun and potentially lose the lower frequencies, I retained the biwired 4VS for the low frequencies only, and added another 4VS run on a separate amp channel for the high frequencies. The clarity in this new setup is the same as with the shotgun bi-wire, but now i have significantly enhanced dynamic range due to the higher current capacity of driving thru 2 separate amplifier channels per speaker.

Now I am thoroughly convinced that these are some of the best value in speaker wires, but must warn that you really need to at least bi-wire with these to get decent low-end response.

Purchased At:   VanL Speakerworks

Submitted by Salby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
The year 2002 was an upgrade year for us, with a change of speakers and sub and endless experiments with speaker cables and interconnects. Chief thing we were trying to tame was harshness from metal tweeters in speakers and from our CD player. Won't bore you with the names of all cables tried. There is much to be said for shelling out $300-500 for top-notch cables. But for under $200 the Kimber 4VS have been a great choice.

Actually bought these on the basis of reviews of 8VS (search ecoustics.com) which talked about the music "pouring forth effortlessly" (which is true) and the dealer recommended using 4VS in a shotgun biwire--equivalent characteristics to a single run of 8VS but with more clarity. The dealer was right.

Presentation is relaxed and free--curing much of the digital harshness in the system. These perhaps cannot match Nordost or Mapleshade cables for soundstage, but these are extremely good cables that give joy in the listening experience and don't hurt our ears. Full lows and plenty of detail on top--we listen to a lot of classical and that is a great test for any speaker cable.(but realistically, there is probably not as much detail) as a brighter cable would have).

Kimber's stranded construction really requires that they be terminated by someone with experience. My dealer was great and set up the shotgun biwire for no extra cost.

It was a relief to find these after so much experimentation. For the price point, a wonderful find.

Purchased At:   Van L Speakerworks

Submitted by Lars Iversen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This test was performed in a private Hi-Fi club consisting of audiophiles and R+D engineers/masters, and the purpose was to test audioble difference in different speaker cables. Bulk speaker cable (2 x 0,75mm2) was used a "standard" reference.
The equipment used was a modified Sony 202ES CD-player (Equipped with a new analog amplifier), Copland 301 mk. 2 preamplifier, HIRAGA Class A power amplifier. Different speakers used.

Kimber 4VS is best in the midrange where it performs with very open, detailed and very smooth sound. Nice ambience and vocals. A very accurate and neutral reproduction!

The cable gives a good consistent tonal reproduction but it is a little "slim" sounding due to two things; The bass is neutral and without any resonant characteristics (Which is very good!) - at the same time the highrange is a little compressed compared to better cables. This makes the highrange sound a little less "open"/"free" and a little less "smooth"; E.g. cymballs becomes a little smaller in size and thus sounds a little more "light" than I.R.L. (In real life).

The Kimber 4VS has average dynamics comparable to what is to be expected. However, midrange/vocal dynamics are excellent!

Kimber 4VS is a good cable, and in total performance it came in as 3. best in overall performance in this test (1. Audioquest Clear 3; 2. Audioquest Midnight+).
Closest rival was Cable Talk 3.1 Biwire (Used as singlewire as all cables in the test); The Cable Talk 3.1 Biwire has better Cymballs performance in regard to tonal balance - however the Kimber 4VS is better detailed, more "open" and more "smooth".

Kimber 4VS can best be recommended for speakers that are not "brightly" sounding!
In regard to the Value Rating there is no doubt: Kimber 4VS deserves a full 4 stars as the performance versus price is very good! But due to the minor flaw in highrange 5 stars can not be given!
It is more difficult for the Overall Rating as the flaw in highrange is a matter of "taste"; I think that Kimber 4VS should have 4 stars for the very good midrange reproduction, and the fact that is has no resonant characteristics in the bass range - but at the same time I am annoyed by the flaw in highrange so I would like to give it "almost 4 stars"... This is hovever not possible, so 3 stars for Overall Value.

Submitted by Malcolm Druid a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
meatier low frequencies than 4PR and more lively, for a modest increase in price. Worth the extra.

Submitted by Iceblink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I used these for about 4 months with my front main speakers. They were a considerable improvement over typical 12 gauge
speaker wire. I was very satisfied with the overall sound, until I compared them A/B with the Nordost Super Flatline
Gold speaker cables. Needless to say, the Nordost cables
have taken over the number one spot in my set-up, with the
4VS now supplying my center channel nicely. I think the difference mainly was that I was able to bi-wire my PSB
Stratus Gold i speakers with the Nordost, therefore bringing
out more overall detail, increased clarity, with tight, deep
bass.

Overall, I still think the 4VS is a great product, and would
buy it again. It was beat out by the Nordost cables, but not by much.

This cable does have nice clarity, with satisfying highs &
mids, and also very good tight bass production

Definitely give these cables a listen, I do not think you will be disappointed.....

Interesting aspect of Kimber Kable 4VS

I picked up some kimber kable 4VS off ebay really cheap. I couldnt resist, because I was interested and they were so much cheaper than retail. (I paid $30.05 for 24 ft of it, shipped to my door. The retail is $3.30/ft. I paid $1.25/ft shipped, which is actually a little less than a local store s ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: