JPS Labs Ultraconductor Speaker Cables

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by RobertB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
My first encounter with the Ultra Conductor Dual Bi-Wire was while I was still quite happy with my Cardas Quadlink-Five C Bi-Wire and planning to upgrade to the Cardas Golden Cross eventually (I already had these as my interconnects)
First I discovered the Superconductor 2 interconnects and my Golden crosses were sold right after. So I auditioned 18 ft. of the Ultra Conductor Dual Bi-Wire cables and they sounded absolutely awful.
But I knew they can take quite a bit of burning in, so I patently waited and after a little over a week they revealed all of their beauty.
So the Quadlink-Fives are gone and I'm saving money for the Superconductor FX Bi-Wire.

Purchased At:   Local High End Deale

Submitted by Jasper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
(The Power AC+ was the first powercord I bought after having upgraded my system with a new high-end amp and speakers.) - I knew JPS Labs from the special Ultraconductor interlink they manufactured for me to connect my Naim CD player with DIN-style output to a normal RCA. There are just a few adapting interlinks available. Naim advises to use Chord interlinks to connect their equipment to non Naim stuff, and I think and experienced that as wrong. There is more and different in the world and you miss something by not trying that out. The special Ultraconductor interconnect cable that JPS produced for me proved to be way better than the standard delivered and advised Chord Cobra. Period. For little more money as I think the Ultraconductor is a very high value audio cable for its price. This also is the only JPS cable that can be fitted into a DIN plug I believe, because all other cables are much thicker. The Ultraconductor interlink (as the speakercables) I have found really need their time to break in. In the beginning there was just too much high together with the revealing detail. Spending some time to break in the interlink rewards you with a really good cable and proved to be worthwhile. Be patient and don’t judge for the first 50 hours or so.. Luckily interconnects can break in ‘in silence’, speaker cables however..
The Naim player with the Ultra conductor interlink connected, proved to be an easy match for a Meridian player fitted with a Cardas Golden Cross. (Of course due to the Naim DIN connection no cord exchange try outs were possible). The same combination fitted with the standard Chord Cobra cable however I found a rather sad experience after.
JPSLabs gave great service by specially manufacturing this cable for me in DIN > RCA style. (RCA > DIN has different connection inside the DIN plug (on different pins) but can be manufactured as well for connecting RCA output to a DIN input).
Very high quality at a reasonable price. You just have to know about it. Luckily I found an article about this JPS version on a forum. Naim would provide a great service mentioning this JPS Labs one at least together with the Chord. So that people have another choice and can enjoy their music more.
Info about JPS Labs and cables are on www.jpslabs.com

Submitted by cryotweaker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
An improvement from top to bottom in sound quality and detail. Everything you read in the reviews of this product are right on. I really cannot add much more. Definately THE budget audio interconnect cable to have.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I don't have much to add to what has has already been said here, but I think you get the picture that these are very good cables. The Ultraconductor cables deliver sound with clarity and majesty, from top to bottom, and should be considered as serious contenders for use in any hi-fi system. The AP Oval 9s were nice but lacked the clarity and imaging provided by the Ultraconductors. The DH Labs Silversonic sounded much better than the Oval 9s in my system but the highs were a bit too shrill for me.

System:
JPS Labs Ultraconductor Speaker Cables & Interconnects

Purchased At:   JPSDirect.com

Submitted by Arthur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm tremendously impressed with these cables. Having recently upgraded my system (Arcam Diva CD92, PS Stratus Gold), my cables suddenly became the weak link. Though I know the Golds have garnered good reviews, as has the Arcam, I wasn't getting the performance out of them that I'd heard in store. Rather than being satisfied with these new acquisitions, I felt there was something seriously missing: namely refinement, detail, and control throughout the whole audible spectrum. I've lived with budget cables for years, having been skeptical of shelling out big dollars for even 'moderate-priced' interconnects and speaker cables. Having read through many reviews, I finally tried the AudioQuest line. The Corals and Vipers did improve the smoothness and detail by a fair margin, especially in the mids and lows, but they were harsh in the top end. In fairness, they weren't burned in long enough as the literature recommends, but at least on my system and with my musical tastes (Baroque, Renaissance) I couldn't risk any graininess or brightness at all in the high frequencies. By chance I came upon the Ultraconductors, read the reviews, and purchased two sets (CD to pre, pre to power). Wow, is all I can say. Very quiet and clear, with no discernible coloration. Also nicely detailed, tonally nuanced and evenly paced, with really tight control of bass (which was a bonus since I was starting to feel that the Golds may be a little too flabby on the bottom end). All in all, it was like getting a new "component" in my system, optimizing performance by far more that I had expected. Plus, the Ultraconductors were supremely affordable, especially in relation to other 'budget' audiophile cables. Bravo.

High End: