Harmonic Technology Melody Speaker Cables

speaker cable

Submitted by Egil G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had recently upgraded my interconnects from QED Qnect 1s to Harmonic Technology's excellent Truth-Link interconnects, and wanted to improve on my Tara Labs Prism Omni speaker cables, which I had originally bought to use only temporarily. They had done a decent job, but it was time to replace them.

I had noticed a huge jump in detail levels when upgrading the interconnects, and I figured the speaker cable change would only amplify the improvements. It did, but the unexpected bonus was the bass depth increase.

I borrowed a pair of Analysis Plus' Oval 12 cables, Kimber 8TCs, and the Harmonic Tech Melody Lines. I tried the HTs first, and my wife and I couldn't stop trying new CDs to hear the differences in each recording. The sound was full, rich and detailed, with ever so slightly loose bass (but not enough to bother me- and don't let that turn you off). The overall toe-tapping effect was amazing.

The next day we tried the 8TCs (which are more expensive), and liked them pretty well. They were more precise in the bass department, almost like being in the studio listening to monitors. The studio-like, somewhat clinical feel extended through the frequencies. My spouse and I agreed that we felt the Harmonic Techs sounded more like live music rather than a sterile recording, which we preferred, even if it lost a little precision.

Last up were the Analysis Plus Oval 12s, and they were a huge disappointment with our setup. I've heard they are system-dependent, and I am inclined to second that. They sounded dull and flat, with no room decay on the recordings as well.

The decision was surprisingly easy- the Melody Lines were the winners. I have not looked back. One note, though- a new pair will need about 50-100 hours of break-in time (yes, it is true, it makes a difference). The new pair sounded less natural than the loaner pair, but now they sound relaxed and are a pleasure.

I have ended up spending more on cables than what most people would recommend given the rest of my setup, but I feel it is well worth it. The performance of the system outdoes what you'd expect for the money. The Harmonic Technology cables are not cheap per se, but for the build quality (they are beautifully made) and sound quality it is well worth it.

The other gear:
NAD C520 CD player
Cambridge Audio A3i integrated amp
PSB Century 500i speakers

Purchased At:   The Cable Company

Submitted by Raymond Lim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
After swapping out the old cables with these, the overall sound was improved substantially. Using my old cables, the bass was thin and almost none existent and the midrange and treble were sorta 'restricted'. Plain dead. Using the HTs is like opening a flood gate. I just could'nt believe that cables made such a difference and how bad my other cables were. The HTs added weight to the bass and tight control, midrange was more neutral and sweeter and treble was smoother and details were richer. Soundstage opened up and imaging was more precise. Overall, I am impressed with the sound improvement I got for the price I paid. Highly recommended!! I now believe that cables make a difference.

Submitted by dboyles a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
Purchased these cables at the same time as I purchased my speakers and audio rack. I have not yet had the chance to compare them to any other comparable cables. I must say, however, that I am very pleased with my system. As for the cables, they are well-built, attractive, and help to provide the sound for which I've been looking.
Associated equipment: