Esoteric Audio Musica 500 Speaker Cables

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
My system:

NAD 316AV integrated amp
NHT SuperOnes
Sony DVP-S7700
Esoteric Musica 500
Monster XP speaker cable

Up front, I must admit that I do not have the full range of audio terminology at my command. When my DVD player first arrived, I purchased a pair of Monster M550i with which to connect it to my Pro-Logic integrated amp. I wasn't expecting miracles, but I figured that it would be pretty good sound for not a huge investment. Actually, I was quite pleased with the overall sound from the Monster cables: Full mids and bass, very good soundstage (at least to me, with my limited experience). The only thing that annoyed me was the Monster's characteristic treble roll-off: my music sounded dull and lifeless. So I returned the M550i's, and, at the recommendation of a salesperson at a local hi-end shop, purchased the Musica 500's for $36.00.

I was told that these cables would help open up the treble... and they did. They also provided decent bass definition. However, all of this came at the expense of the midrange, which now sounds muddy and unnatural (canned), especially with vocals.

The only other explanation that I could come up with is that the mid-range problems originate with my cheap speaker cable, but since I did not experience the same trouble with the M550i's, I am concluding that it is the Musica 500's that are responsible.

Although I could live with this cable in the short term, the obvious flaws in the midrange have left me yearning for something better. When I find that "something better," these will migrate to my VCR.

Conclusion: Better than patch cable. Better treble than Monster M550i. Poor midrange. Decent bass. Okay soundstage and localization. Not the best cable, but for $36, it does the job for less hi-fidelity sources.

Submitted by Rance McClain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought these to use with a new home theater system and have nothing but high praise for the product. Sounds better than any other cable I have used in the past.

Submitted by Gary Lester a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I use Esoteric Audio Musica 500 Emerald series signal cables in my car audio system. The system consists of a Kenwood PS 909 deck,Precision Power PAR245 preamp,Precision Power PC4100 amplifier,a/d/s 336is components,and two a/d/s 310rs DVC subwoofers. I don't compete anymore,but the car has taken first place trophys in sound quality,and sound quality plus. These RCA's have been in my car for more than two years,and have never let me down. They keep the signal very clean,and always perform. Play a zero level CD,and all you hear is silence. I didn't think Esoteric made the Musica 500's anymore. Are we talking about the same cables? I have never heard of these being used for video ,but for mobile audio applications I would highly recommend them,based on my own personal experience.

Submitted by Veda a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1998

Bottom Line:
It was years ago when I started buying lots of expensive cables. I couldn't really hear a difference back then since I was using them with my VCR setups. It was then when I saw this expensive looking cable from Esoteric Audio in my local Circuit City. Of course, given my feelings toward new things, I had to get it. When I hooked it up to my VCR setup, I noticed that the sound becomes muddled. I let it burned in for a few days and the result was still the same. When I put back my really "cheap" Monster cables, the goodness of the sound came back. So far after all these years of listening to different cables, I have never heard one as bad or worse sounding than the Esoteric Musica 500. The connector design was completely bad if better built than mass market Monsters. In addition, the copper they used oxidized faster than any other cables, which led me to believe that the whole cable is just a piece of lamp wire priced to attract audio freaks. Oh yeah, I tried it with different audio systems as well. Same result. Definitely one of the crappier products for the mass market. I don't usually give a 1 star for a product, but this cable more than deserves it.

Premier Mounts: