AudioQuest Type 2 Speaker Cables

4.63/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by ren9328 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have tried many different types of speaker cables throughout the years. Some of these include Monster products, MIT, Audioquest (Crystal speaker cables), and Kimber Kable. Hands down the Type 2 is a very good speaker cable, not just for the money but at any price. It is far superior to Monster and it is really only slightly outperformed by my much more expensive ($$$$$) Crystal series and by the Kimber 8TCs.

Where there may be an advantage is in the case of large floor standers of low impedence and low sensitivity (my Dynaudio Contour 3.3s). With my small listening room system which consists of Dynaudio Contour 1.3s, Bryston 2B amplifier, PS Audio 4.6 preamp, and a Cambridge Audio CD player there is virtually no difference. This small simple looking sound system receives more jaw dropping looks than any larger system that I have owned. Friends and acquaintances just cannot believe the massive performance level that can be produced by a pair of speakers that are only 15 inches tall. This goes back to proper set-up and component matching.

For those of you considering a pair of these speaker cables the price is right and you have very little to lose. I am using them on a system that costs $5k and could not be happier with the performance level.

Submitted by alfa1025 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased 8 foot cables pre-terminated with banana plugs to connect my PSB Alpha A/V's to my Marantz SR5300. They replaced Monster Cable XP cables that I had used for many years. The difference is quite dramatic. Both highs and lows are more pronounced and natural sounding. Dynamics are much improved, making music sound more like the artists intended. No more muddy bass or hissy, grating treble. For not much more than basic wire prices, the improvement is worth the money and then some.

Purchased At:   HCM Audio

Submitted by Fuzzy32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm in the midst of fine tweaking my HT. The last step was to upgrade all of my speaker cables. Running Type 2+ to my surrounds. For $1.25/foot Canadian you can't go wrong. Once the cables have broken in, I'll post another review. So far the sound is just fine. 4 stars for the price/quality.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by DSB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
for 1.95 a foot CANADIAN this cannot be touched i use it for my rears. These produce some serious detail that my 5.00 a foot monster Z1 reference cannot produce but i still choose to use the Z1 for my fronts because they produce a much better bottom end.

Purchased At:   fairview hifi

Submitted by Space_1999 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have only word for this cable...EXTRAORDINARY performance for the price. I did read that this cable is best for warmer sounding systems and since my Marantz SR-880 receiver certainly qualifies I think this speaker cable was a perfect match.
I purchased 3x15 foot lengths for my front speakers... perfect!

Purchased At:   private seller on eb

What type of amp for kef 104.2 reference speakers?

Hello, I am new to this forum and a novice when it comes to audio equipment. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through reviews, comments, and questions from other forum participants and have benefited already from very friendly advice on the kef 104.2 reference speakers, which, thanks to some of ... Read More »

TARA LABS: