AudioQuest Midnight 3 Speaker Cables

4.08/5 (25 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by dwng a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
Recently bought this I assume new old stock midnight 3 cables set up in bi-wire configuration between my humble Audiolab amp and ProAc Response 1.5. The sound is great - neutral without emphasis on a particular frequency range. The supplier terminated the cable well with sturdy banana plugs which hold on well at both the speaker and amplifier ends. You need that especially since this cable is stiff. Since it is still pretty new, I expect it to shine even more with time when it is properly broken in.

Submitted by bubbles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sometimes I wonder why I actually bought this cable,maybe I was sucked into the snake oil thoery,maybe it was the "wow" look at the thickness of that.
I was already using Audioquests Indigo,which was a good cable,did nothing wrong,just was a cable that didn't mess up the sound,but at the end of the day was just that,a piece of cable,so for some umknown reason I was fooled to believe the higher you went (read) spend the better it got,not,I can't say i noticed a bit of difference between the indigo and the midnight,I wanted too,as its by far no means cheap,I was using it with at the time a Copland CTA 401 valve amp,B&W cdm1 and a Micromega transport/DAC combo,interconects were the AQ quartz.
When I changed over I couldn't believe just how ridiculosly inflexable the cable was,was a nightmare at midnight to work with,terrible,you need the paitience of Job.If you havent got very sturdy speaker connections on amp end beware this cable doesn't bend them of!!

After alot of cursing i finally wired them up,they looked good,am real like at mine,its bigger than your feel,but how did it sound? well to be honest no different than the indigo I was previously using,i was dissapointed,just on that fact alone,the sound I felt was smooth,didn't over emphasize any off the spectrum range,presneted the music in a natural fashion,highs were smooth non fatiging,midrange was laidback and not forced upon you,and bass was well...bass,speakers depend on bass performance not a cable,so overall on the sound front it just did what a cable should do pass the signal no more no less,on that front it did it's job,but I just keep coming back to the fact of the cable is just too stiff and that is its major weakness,plus price.

Submitted by Bluefin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
It seems previous audioquest line, midnight, forrest,..., works better with bi-wire. If you are listening to single wire, you probably have not heard the best from it yet. Mid freq. is slightly too polite on midnight. Cardas has fuller mid in this respect. It depends on your speaker/amp combo and personal taste. But bass/$$ is one of the best there. Midnight is a great woofer cable! I would give it 4 star for mid and 5 star for bass. Some previous viewers claim no bass should check his own gears or connections. My experience is that Cu has smooth bass and Siliver has better high. Good mid calbe usually sacrifice a little on high and low. Who can recommend a reasonable priced cable for all spectrum?

Submitted by DeeCee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I graduated from my 12 gauge zipcord to the AQ Midnight 3s which I purchased used. I expected a large difference in quality but there really wasn't...

There was some additional detail in the midbass and a tad better performance in sounstaging but that was about it.

Don't get me wrong; the cable did no additional damage to the sound, it just lacked the sense of life that I expected from the cable.

The cable performance I would consider fair but somewhat pricey.

I was close to reconsidering the value of speaker cable differences when I recently purchased and compared this cable to the Cardas and ...

(You'll have to check the Cardas Quadlink 5C review)...

- DeeCee

Submitted by Skywalker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to ask the previous poster (before me), what sort of equipment did you use with this cable?? I just don't understand why such a great cable sounds that aweful in your system!!

I like the way my system sounds with Midnight 3. Bass is robust, full, yet still maintains its texture, control and refinement, while the mids are natural-sounding. Vocals now sound convincingly real, while the highs are sweet, clear and natural-sounding.

Great for warm-sounding kit!

Wood Technology: