AudioQuest Forest SBW Hi Speaker Cables

Single Bi-wire FPC-6 Cable

Submitted by Simmi_Renault a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
System:

Linn Mimik 2 CD Player
Musical Fidelity X-A2 Amplifier
Linn Katan Speakers on Linn stands
Atlas Voyager Interconnects

Picked this cable up from the "bargain bin" through sheer curiosity - it looks like a garden hose! (It's even green!). Then I noticed the price, £200. Well, I was going to pay in excess of this for two lengths of Chord Odyssey so I thought I may as well have a little demo in store.

One word: Transparent!

That describes both the obviousness (did I just make that word up?) of the Audiotruth Forest's superiority over the Chord and the sonic quality of the cable. I figured that, being a used cable, the Forest was so much better to my ears due to it being far more heavily run in than the Chord - so I asked the question. The Chord was the shops own pair and had had well in excess of the recomended burn in time since the stores system was running virtually 24 - 7.

The way that vocals are placed dead centre and instruments (usually guitars of varying distortion for me) are placed within the soundstage is simply stunning in that it is completely natural. Some cables can sound forced or over analytical in there attempts to dig up the details in the music but not this. All the details are present and if you listen to individual instruments they are as easy to follow as with many other cables I have tried, the beauty of this cable is that your attention isn't brought to the various areas of the sound, your attention is focussed purely on the music. Reading soome of the reviews for the Nordost speaker cable one Red Dawn owner says: "...you can't hear the Forest for the trees". Somehow the name of this Audiotruth cable seems befitting of that analogy!

I can honestly say that since upgrading from QED Silver Anniversary I have never once suffered from listening fatigue - something that used to happen frequently, probably due to the QED's slightly brash treble and lack of real midrange clarity and seperation.

So an absolute steal for me and, since having heard cables such as Nordost's Red Dawn since my purchase, I have absolutely no desire or necessity to upgrade even two years or so down the line. My advice, if you ever happen to stumble across any hose pipe in your hifi dealer and it says Forest down the side do yourself a favour and get it!

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks Sound & Vi

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
After trying to upgrade to more expensive AQ Clear I returned to Audio truth Forest. Sound simply very well balanced and double of price gave me only slight improvement. Moving from Midnight was no brainer and edginess over instrumental music Midnight cables produce disappeared when were replaced with Forest cables.
I had a chance to audition original Forest and Forest+ in my system and Forest + was strongly superior. I believe older version was using different conductors and metal quality.
In my experience with transparent cables Forest comes very close to Music wave super, but Forest is more neutral and adds nothing to the music. Higly recommended. I tried new AudioQuest line that they refer as perfect surface ( Granite, Gibraltar) and for some reason they sound far brighter than Forest. It is cheaper to make new cables, but their retail price is overpriced. Forest offer excellent biwire capabilities for two way speakers and its neutral character allow to deliver the best neutral sound to your speakers. Very difficult to find used, so if you see one grab it.

Submitted by John Hanes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these cables used off of a seller on Audiogon.com for far less than they cost new. I really like Audioquest interconnects so I decided to try their speaker cables. They were full range cables when I bought them, which I used for about a month before sending them back to Audioquest to have them reterminated as a single biwire high pass cable (total cost, $50). What a difference! The bass is powerful and tight (well-controlled), and the soundstage is broad and deep. The highs are very clear and sparkly, transparent, and airy. What a cable! The only problem is that they are so stiff that they'll torque themselves right off their connections if they're not lined up the way they want to lie and then tightened really well. I might need WBT locking bananas on the amp end to keep them plugged in (still thinking about it). Overall, though, an awesome cable that made a huge difference in my system.

Purchased At:   used from private seller

Submitted by Jerry O a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I recently hooked up a demo pair of Forest that I purchased for half price, still quite expensive IMO. It basically opened up the sound, fuller/deeper bass, and added dimension to the soundstage. I understand the law of diminishing returns, and the improvement is not day and night, but it is a sonic improvement, and I'm quite happy with the increased natural music presentation.

Submitted by sawkins a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Exxellent, transparent cable, no distortions and the better your system is, the better they become. Main thing is, they dont add stuff in to the sound.
Ive used it with meridian 557 poweramp & 502 pre, rotel 991*2 (bi-amped), pre 972, concert 8-speakers, rotel 971 hdcd. Interconnects: oelbach-supraflex, ixos studio gamma & 1102, taralabs RSC ref 2. I think these will be in my system for a long, long time.

Purchased At:   hifiklubi