AudioQuest NRG-2 Power Cables

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

NRG-2 uses solid Long-Grain Copper (LGC) conductors in a Self Shielding Counter-Spiral Hyperlitz configuration. Solid conductors prevent strand interaction, which is the greatest single source of distortion in an audio cable or an AC power cable. The less complicated grain structure and fewer impurities within LGC copper significantly reduces distortion compared to normal high purity-copper. The Counter-Spiral geometry minimizes conductor interaction while maintaining a fixed regular relationship.

Submitted by machani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Bottom Line:
Prior to getting the AudioQuest NRG-2 cables, I was using DHLabs Power plus on my Cayin TA-30 amp and TAD-150 preamp. I heard good things about these cables in AudioAsylum and decided to give them a try, since I was able to get them unused for only $60 from eBay.

My first impressions of them, compared to the DHLabs Power Plus, were better treble detail and a more musical tone. The bass weight was about the same as the DHLabs (which is a good thing in my setup) but the definition was softer. Also, the soundstage didn't change much and the trancscients were not smooth. The midrange was slightly congested. In any case, I was aware that these cords needed some burn in, so I let them run in for about 100 hours, powering a personal computer.

After the burn in, the bass definition became much better and the soundstage expanded and the there was much better separation between instruments. Furthermore, the overal transparency was much better. It still took about 20 more hours playing time for the midrange to smooth out. The noise floor was also considerably lower.

These cords come with an RF stopper attached and, after careful listening, I came to the conclusion that the sound was better with the RF-stoppers removed since I was using them to power my analog gear. But I would imagine the RF stoppers would improve the sound of digital gear.

But after that, doing an A/B with the DHLabs Power Plus, there is no contest. The AQ NRG-2's took my system to a whole new level of transparency and involvement.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I never tried a nice power cable before. I do have in my system Audioquest Type 4 speaker wire and Audioquest Diamondback interconect cable.
This power cord is perplexing to me. I for sure heard a difference in sound between the NRG 2 and my stock power cord that came with my amp. But I am not sure the change is for the better. I have a pretty resolving system consisting of various components as follows:

Integrated amps: Cary tube, Magnum Audio, Alchemist
CD players: Primare, Marantz
Speakers: Harbeth, Spendor, Rega

Here is what I noticed:
When I first put the cable in my system connected to the amp I thought that the sound was more powerful, slightly bigger and had more energy. The bass was a bit stronger too and it was also a bit more detailed and more clear. So that should be it right? A clear win for the NRG 2 over the standard power cord. Well, not quite.
With the NRG 2 I noticed I just was not enjoying the music as much as I was before. My mind told me I should, but I was not. So why was this the case? Well, with the NRG 2 in my system the sound somehow seemed more electronic and artificial. The sound did not seem as natural as before. The sound seemed to be restricted too in some way. It just didn't flow in a natural way like before. It was also a lot more bright sounding with the NRG 2 connected. That's something I really dont like and can be a deal breaker for me.
My system is bulit around smooth components. The Primare CD player, Spendor soft dome tweeters, and Tubes in my Cary. But somehow this cable tipped the balance the wrong way to the bright side of reality. Violins and piano for instance, sounded artificially brighter than in reality. Because of the all of this I dont think I will keep this cable.
Perhapes you may find or hear a diiferent result. But for me, in my system, I know what I like and dislike. My standard power cord will go back into my system for now.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Here is what I noticed:

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
The AQ NRG power cords are great cables. I had a NRG-2 but upgraded it to a NRG-3 for my Samsung 1080p DLP HDTV. Immediately I noticed the picture quality had a little more pop when watching HD. The colours very more vibrant. I think the NRG-3 is such a good cable that I have 3 more in my HT. Fantastic cables for both audio and video especially for the price I get them for at Trutone. I'm a loyal customer and loyalty has it's rewards.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by Fergymunster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
Now that this cable is fully broken in I'm better able to give a review.First I don't have to tell you that there are thousands of power cords out there now a days and this can be somewhat confusing.I've found out that the best one to get is one that is going block RFI and EMI emissions comming from your AC power source.I chose the NRG-2 because that's exactly what it's going to do.Not only that but now that it's fully broken in I'm noticing that there is more detail comming through my CA azur 640c CD player.Everything just seems more in focus.Mind you can spend twice the price of the NRG-2 and find out that the cable is doing the same thing.Also this cable is flexable enough to work with unlike alot of the other power cords out there.In order to yeild even better results I'm using a Monster SW200 surge protector that further eliminates RFI and EMI interference.With this combination the music is smooth and pure.I'm thrilled to report that my persistence has payed off handsomely.

Purchased At:   local store