Acoustic Zen I-1010R Silver Reference
Description: A top-of-the-line pure silver single-ended and balanced interconnect that achieves unrivaled resolution of fine and low level audio details with extraordinary signal coherence across the entire audio spectrum - matchless musical reproduction with stunning imaging, tonal nuance, and dynamic power.

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
outstanding cable. I have owned NOrdost, Kimber select, MOnster cables, Straightwire, Tera labs and so far I love this cable. The highs are extended and the bass is tight. The midrange is to die for and will keep you listening for hours. I have highend equipment consisting of Anthem avm50, Simaudio Titan amp, Simaudio orbiter, and Simaudio Supernova and wired with these cables. The sound coming from my Martin Logan Vantage and Martin Logan Theater i is just fantastic. I cannot imagining finding a better cable

Purchased At:   brett interiors

Submitted by Chester a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought these because of the hype, but feel they're just over priced Harmonic Technology Cables. They were thin on the bottom end and fairly smooth on the highs. Now I find out that they've come out with another version for the third time in less than two years. This doesn't make me happy. Compared them to the HT Magic and found that the Magic was way better in my system.

Submitted by audiotrust a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Occasionally we audiophiles all hit the wall. After years of everything from bank breaking major upgrades to an endless myriad of fine tweaks, we sit there listening to the monster we’ve created and find ourselves dreaming about a double play we almost pulled off in an after school baseball game. Its not that the sound isn’t good; many would call it great. It’s simply not alive. What emerges from our speakers has all of the polish and pristiness of a new Corian countertop. What we came to hear was the life and intrigue of African granite.

It was precisely at this point that I was about to feel my heart pounding in my chest like a concert bass drum. Still moping in a blue lethargy of reconciled disillusionment, I carefully disconnected my Transparent Audio Ultra interconnects from my CD player to my preamp, and again from my preamp to my monoblock amplifiers. In their stead I plugged in the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference interconnects that I had borrowed to audition. Dutifully, I sat back in my listening chair and restarted “So What”, from the Miles Davis classic, “Kinda Blue.” A shot of adrenalin coursed my veins when, unexpectedly, Bill Evans’ piano had moved back about 15 feet. The notes of his pensive backdrop were not ending when they were supposed to. They were decaying into each other, caressing each other. I didn’t blink. When Miles took the lead with his trumpet, I could have reached out and grabbed it right out of his hands, except that I would have had to walk 30 feet from my chair to get to it. That was when the concert bass drum in my chest started up.

Now completely intrigued, I tried a few tracks from Diana Krall’s “When I Look in Your Eyes.” The pinpoint focus of every instrument was remarkable. The sonic decay was impressive. The blackness from which everything magically emerged was new. But one thing was absolutely riveting. The strings were splashing off of the walls and ceiling of the recording room, painting a visual picture of the acoustic environment so vivid that I found myself seeing everything as though I were there. This isn’t a multimedia system. I have no huge front projection screen. I have no video at all. But I was seeing the musical ensemble, the room, the piano, everything. How could my Acoustic Zen cables convey so much information that my old cables blocked? That’s right, I said my Acoustic Zen cables. Take my Volvo 8

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are very good cables indeed! They are very high resolution, very smooth and refined sounding from top to bottom, and not a hint of irritating qualities (even from break in!), only detail, detail, and very clear! The cables have a smoothness athat's not often associated with pure silver in my experiences!(could be do to latest purity silver upgrade...?) I've used the Matrix Ref from the same company, and it's an interesting difference. The copper/silver Matrix has a more contrasty soundquality, while the Silver ref has a more smooth textured "one-ness" to the sound. The difference is kinda like the differnce in overall sound/pressentation one would expect to hear with an ultra high end "single bit" digital DAC vs. a multi bit DAC! The singles usually have a "one-ness"/more unified sound, where the "multi's" tend to have a more contrasted presentation. Overall, I think system choices will decide between the two.
You will find, in ultimate terms, a leanness in the bass that you don't get with copper cables. Good or bad it's there, and system dependent for best results critically.
I like this Silver Ref better than the Audio Quest Silver and most of the Nordost Silver. I'd chose this cable over just about anything, especially for "top end" dubties on a biamp, and pure tube systems! Although, AZ's own line Matrix ref is better in the bass in oppinion.
Overall, very very good cable, at the right price point compared to higher cables. I can't immagine getting that much better results from a cable overall. And it might be perfect in a lot of system set-up's!..worth a try indeed.

Submitted by Big Johnson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Jimmy James, you are a fool. That's all there is to say. Why don't you try burning in the cables first. Just a little tip from a Big Johnson.

Purchased At:   online