System Audio SA2K
Description: <ul> <li>Cabinet built according to patented principle</li> <li>Drive units with new technology</li> <li>2-way design</li> <li>Optional bi-wiring/bi-amping</li> <li>Accessories: SA2K loudspeaker stands</li> </ul>

Submitted by johanweigel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this fantastic little speaker after a lengthy search for a new hifi system for home use. Other dynamic speakers in this price range and below left me more or less unimpressed because most of them sound too soft, lacking detail and attack which renders them incapable of reproducing cymbals and plucked strings etc in a correct way. Other brands like Dynaudio and Vienna Acoustics that seem to enjoy a bigger economic success than this, to me a completely unknown speaker brand before I heard them in the store, are, in my opinion, not tuned to an optimal high fidelity experience. They rather seem to be constructed in a way to please, what the manufacturer thinks is, a general taste among audio consumers, and then backed up by extremely aggressive publicity.
Therefore, it was only natural for me to go and audition these brands when I searched for new speakers simply because I new they existed and had read reviews and seen commercials with about them. But very soon I realized I had to look elsewhere for speakers to please my taste, which is not extraordinary in any way. I’m just picky because I am a professional musician and I want to hear speakers that reproduce music as authentically as possible. After all, that’s what I thought we all want.
But after having heard speakers that are claimed to be sophisticated and enjoy a widespread international acclaim and commercial success, I realized that the situation is a bit more complex than that.

At this point I thought I had to let go of the idea of buying a “normal” dynamic speaker and was contemplating getting a Martin Logan, a speaker I have always liked but thought it too big and fuzzy about a lot of things, like placement, sweet spot and electronics. But then I heard the monitor speaker SA2K from System Audio in a store and was REALLY impressed.
Here was a speaker that seemed to have all the advantages of the smaller monitor measurements, easy to place, great stereo perspective and a seamless blending of tweeter and woofer. It has the same clarity as Martin Logan without any of the problems of the electrostatic hybrid. I auditioned these speakers with various types of music and they didn’t display any obvious drawbacks or problem areas. They reproduced the large percussion section of Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” without any strain what so ever. And the volume level was higher in the store than I would ever be able to play at home.

I have had these babies for about 3 years now and I couldn’t be happier. In fact, I wonder if anybody whose listening room isn’t enormous or who doesn’t have a house where he or she can blast away without concern about disturbing neighbors would need a bigger speaker than this. The bass is low and powerful enough for anyone with normal requirements and somewhat conscious about hearing damage. I can’t find any flaws on this speaker. The only mystery to me is why this brand is not more well-known. Maybe they need a new publicity manager at System Audio. But this product is top notch!!

Purchased At:   Hifi Lösch Stuttgart