RBH Sound 61-SE
Description: Frequency Response: 45Hz-20kHz (+3dB) Sensitivity: 87 dB (1 Watt / 1 Meter) Recommended Power: 20-150 Watts Drive Units: One 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter, One 6 1/2" Aluminum Cone oofer

Submitted by Eric a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Bottom Line:

An excerpt: It appears that you lose some high frequency extension and definition in this speaker in comparison to the much more expensive B&W as well as the RBH having a more restrained and closed-in sound. Also, instrumental details were less defined, there was veiling in the sound overall and the horn sounded a little toned down--lacking in vibrancy like on the B&W. This quality in the midrange was persistant through out audition adding a slight thickness to the voice or spreading out instruments horizontally, so they appeared to occupy a bit too much space, and also making the image flatter depth-wise.

The one area where I felt the 61-se’s to be a bit lacking was in the soundstaging department, specifically depth. While I felt the width of the soundstage to be convincing on a majority of recordings, Mr. Bungle’s California illustrated its inability to throw an immensely deep one. On tracks that exhibited information - whether it be musical cues or sound effects that previously occurred thirty feet off-mike - they now sounded as if they were ten or fifteen feet away.

Purchased At:   Won through contest

Submitted by LKDog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of these monitors. I chose to add a second review as I recently added a dedicated Parasound hca 1000 amp to my HT system for two channel listening.
My earlier review indicated that these seem to like power. I would state that these actually really seem to like quality power. With 125 watts per side from the Parasound now running through them, they really open up and sound exceptional. I would definitely put these up against any $1000 or less monitor.
I like the materials used in their design and am extremely happy with their smooth, detailed, open soundstage. I don't see the boxiness commented upon by the other reviewer, although he certainly is more sophisticated in his audio experience than I. I do have the version of this speaker without the port in back as it is a sealed enclosure. I would say that good amplification is a real key.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by radicon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers almost 2 years ago.
I first read about these speakers online while I
was researching new speakers for my home theater
setup. I ended up purchasing these speakers sight
unseen as I could not find a dealer in the entire
DFW metroplex that even carried the signiture
series. I could not have been happier. These
speakers sound great!! The sound seperation,
richness, depth and clarity is breathtaking.
Friends have come over and commented on how good
these speakers really sound. Listening to
The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over DVD on DTS tells
the whole story. Sit back, close your eyes and you
will believe that you are there onstage. Not only
do you hear the richness and depth of the music, but
you will feel it as well. I have listened to Infinity,
Bose, Monitor Audio, Polk, Kenwood, and Pioneer speakers
before and since I have purchased these RBH speakers and
they just do not compare.

Speaker setup:
Cables: BetterCables.com premium speaker wire

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
The finish is very good. The tweeter is a Vifa job and the woofer an in house aluminum job. Simple ported box. The sound is neutral and can play decently low. Overall, not a BAD speaker but certainly not a GOOD speaker. The most objectionable thing about this speaker is how boxy and closed in it sounds. In direct comparison to an old pair of Spica Angelus I had around, the Angelus were more involving and MUCH less boxy. To me, the Silverline stuff and the Meadowlark stuff kill at the same price points.

Associated Equipment:
Pioneer DVD Player via HT Cyberlink
MSB Link DAC
JPS Superconductor to Passive Pre Made from Goldpoint Shunt attenuator with Caddock Resistors (10k Input) to either a Bryston 4B-ST or a AES Super Amp.
Speaker Cable was the wonderful TG Audio Silver

Thiel stuff
Ariel etc etc.

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are very well constructed quality monitor speakers.
These throw a large image with great depth and are especially excellent for acoustic jazz. Very natural sound on instruments and vocals. Silk dome tweeter is smooth and very clear. Mids are neutral and clean. I am running these on high pass with an ACI Titan sub, but they are rated down to 45hz so a sub is not an absolute necessity. They sounded even better when I changed cables to DH LABS T14 Silversonics from standard Monster 12 gauge wire. I am using a pretty basic Denon 1801 receiver with 5X75 watts per channel. They seem to like power.
I know that there are better speakers, but for what I paid used for this quality, they were an excellent deal. The new price for black finish is 7-800$ depending on where you shop. I think for that price range there are many speakers that sound excellent. They are not a readily available line of speakers. I have them paired with an RBH 661SE center that sounds the same as the RBH 61 SE's. I listen mostly to music, but they sound great for HT also. Very natural voices.
Check the RBH website for details.

Avalon Audio carries this line if you live out east. Ask for Bob. Phone number is 609 654-7752. He knows what he is doing.

These receive great reviews from professional people a lot more discriminate than me so I am not sure what to rate them. For this price range these have to be considered as good as Paradigm reference monitors, or similar priced models in the 6-900$ range. The quality of design and build is obvious, but the sound is what counts. I like them.

Purchased At:   used