JBL PB12
Description: JBL 12-inch PowerBass Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by MJR! a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer is nothing but trouble. I have owned if for about 3 years now. Upon initially purchasing the PB12, I was aware of the electric problems with the built-in amplifier. So I always shut it off when it was not in use, and never used it for more than 2 hours at a time.

Incidentally, I goto school on the east coast, so I only use the subwoofer for 4 months out of the year. I returned from school this year, turned it on, and it makes a huge boom, followed by a lot of distortion and garble, but still works. Over the next few weeks, the distortion got worse and it stopped outputting sound, only distortion. I took the amp out and looked at it, but no visible damage. When I opened it, I noticed the build quality of the unit is horrible. They used 3/4" particle board and one stabilizer board across the amp, also the port is too short and I suspect not tuned correctly for the resonant frequency in the specifications. Now I am $250 in the hole and have no low frequencies.

On the other hand I have owned two BIC subwoofers and they have been on auto mode for several years and work beautifully. Go with BIC, stay sway from JBL.

Purchased At:   etronics.com