JBL E50
Description: <ul> <li>Equipped with JBL's tried-and-true titanium-laminate tweeters and PolyPlas™ drivers</li> <li>Dual FreeFlow™ flared ports</li> <li>The Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal (EOS™) waveguide</li> <li>Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover network divides the signal with minimal processing (and minimal opportunity to degrade the signal)</li> </ul>

Submitted by filecat13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
Among the traditional JBL aficionado, this speaker falls into the "this is what's wrong with JBL today" category. As a long time JBL owner and user, I have to take exception with that opinion, and I describe these E50 bookshelves as excellent entry-level consumer fare. In almost every way they are technically better than my first JBL purchase in 1970: JBL L100 Century speakers.

OK, the L100s had Walnut veneer cabinets and Quadrex grilles, plus a nice 12" woofer, but they were also $546 in 1970 dollars. The E50 has a stunningly better tweeter housed in an EOS Waveguide, dual Freeflow ports, a real crossover network, a better designed cabinet, better speaker connectors, and far better integration between its drivers. The balance between the 8" woofer, 4" midrange, and 3/4" Ti tweeter is far more pleasing and listenable in the E50.

In real world listening, the E50, with its mirror-imaged pair, has great imaging and a nice, wide, soundstage. It does lack fullness at the bottom, though it can go fairly low, but the 8" just can't move enough air to hit the low notes with gusto. Still, it's intended to be part of a system with a subwoofer, so that is not so much a deficit as a design decision.

I still have my original L100s, as well as tens of thousands of dollars of other speakers, almost all JBL, but I listen to the E50s several times a month. They are capable, modern, satisfying speakers that any beginning or budget conscious consumer would be happy to own.

Purchased At:   Frys Electronics

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just got the JBL E50s as a gift for someone else but decided to test them since they were refurbished. That might be the problem because I really can't drive them well with my Dennon 3805 (discrete amped 120w continous per channel). I'm currently tryiin to break them in using my 400w per Mixing board I use in my basement with a set of Pevey's that have 16 inch woofers. My god they rock under that kind of power (as good as the Pevey Moniters) but I have to question that it should take that kind of power to run them. (I'm certain of my cabling).

Purchased At:   Harmon Audio

Submitted by Knucklehead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
These are 3 way speakers that were selling for $299 not too long ago.
I don't think I'd have paid what some of the other reviewers paid for these, but they certainly would work for front or back surrounds if you have a bass unit to help out. They lack that kick for movie watching and hard rock. They seem almost perfect for jass.
They are surprisingly decent as a two channel setup if you are not into heavy bass and loud volume. Turn up the wattage and they can get somewhat shrill. I've had speakers that were worse than these however. So these are relegated to the small tv room and two channel amp.
I have a set of Infinity IL50's for that, which need no bass help, and do double duty as the front HT speakers with IL40's at the back corner.
If you are looking for some bookshelf speakers that will take moderate power and still sound great, don't hesitate to buy these, especially at the price I paid for mine. What a bargain! I'm sure they'd work as front and back HT speakers as well.

Purchased At:   eBay (JBL Direct)

Submitted by MDW a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I use the E50 as a 2nd set Stairwell house speaker. They compliment my system very well. The fit and finish is good and I find the Mirror Design an interesting set up.

I do recommend these speakers at this very attractive price point.

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by swingadeal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers for about 21 months. That's more than long enough to decide whether or not they make the grade. In my case, they do! Some may complain that they sound just a bit soft. I don't think that they do. So many speakers get irritating after prolonged listening. These don't. And not because they sound soft, but rather because they sound natural. I don't feel that I'm missing out on any of the important audio spectrum. I hear a nicely balanced sound from top to bottom. Given their price point, they are a speaker which will give most listeners years of pleasure. It still seems odd to me that so many JBL speakers are made in China (as these are). (certainly, not the JBL of old). But, wherever they're made, the better JBL's (and these fit that class) sound good. I use them in a surround set-up with the JBL S-Center and JBL S36'S. The sound is natural and cohesive.

Purchased At:   p.c. richard & son