Infinity Systems Primus 150
Description: <ul> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>bass-reflex</li> <li>frequency response 58-20,000 Hz (ñ3dB)</li> <li>8-ohm impedance</li> <li>sensitivity 88 dB</li> <li>handles up to 100 watts</li> <li>black wood-grain vinyl finish</li> <li>5-way binding posts</li> <li>built-in wall brackets</li> <li>7-3/8"W x 12-3/4"H x 10-1/2"D</li> </ul>

Submitted by Audiocraze a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Primus P153. I was assembling a computer based desktop system when I stumbled into these speakers which having been getting pretty good reviews. When I first got them, I hooked them up with a tripath amp. Unfortunately, the sound is not to my liking. Although they sounded detailed, they were also thin and bright and lacking bass tautness. I thought I had made a serious mistake on the purchase! Seeing a Dussun ds99 lying around, I decided to tried it out on these new speakers. The sound changed for the better. It was night and day. The 100 watt ampflier took control of speakers and gave them a much more balanced sound. The bass was taut, midrange clear and palatable, and highs smooth and extended. Clearly, matching amplification plays a huge role in the performance of speakers. The sound continued to improve in the following weeks, becoming more refine and rounded. Next, I threw in a velodyne hgs10 sub into the system. Since the sub gave the these Infinities bass that are missing on their own, I now have an impressive desktop audio system.

How do they compare to the 10x more expensive Revel M20s? Since they are both from the same parent company Harmon, there is certainly sonic resemblance. Well the Revel are more refined, and better at painting a complete sonic picture. However, these budget priced speakers are not humiliated by them. They are a bargain in my book.

My recommendation for these speakers are certainly conditional. Taking care in proper amplifier matching, you will be rewarded with impressive sound that goes beyond their price point. I am still surprised by how much different speakers can sound with the right amp. Maybe next I will try the killer mono blocks on these speakers.....

Submitted by dinon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought these little bookshelf speakers about 6 months. These sound so neutral and clean. Within $200, I bet you can find better ones. The cross-over is really high quality compared to JBL, Polk Audio. I have these set up in my 6.1 system and they make me happy everyday when I come home from work. It sound very familar to B&W 303 which I had before with a little less bass. I have these set up with my Yamaha Receiver HTR5869 together with Velodyne CHT120. All of these make up a best system for the money. It sound so neutral for the music. I don'tn know how Infinity make profit if one pay $120/pr for the Primus 150s.

Submitted by DaveJ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Infinity Primus 150 is a very high quality speaker even at its regular price of $99. On sale, the deal is obviously better. 2 or more of these and a decent subwoofer will get you performance that many big "full-range" speakers can't achieve regardless of price. Even without a subwoofer, they are surprisingly good. Just keep in mind that, because of there size, you can't expect them to deliver real bass or real high sound levels by themselves. But, because they are not excessively small, they can blend very well with a number of subwoofers. Also, they are magnetically shielded so they won't creat serious issues around CRT TVs.

Submitted by David Jamison a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I wanted some decent speakers, but could not have "big monsters" in the room. The Infinity Primus 150s answered that call. These may not be a real audiophile's dream, but the sound quality is much better than the price would suggest. Two or more of these and a decent subwoofer will get you quite a good system. I wouldn't be surprised if such a combination would put many big speakers to shame. For example, I have heard a few small speaker and subwoofer combinations that blew the doors off the big speakers that used to be commonplace in home audio That's why I went this route and I don't regret it. The Infinity Primus 150 is great example of what is possible nowadays.

Submitted by Richard Golladay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I finally decided to do a home theatre system on the cheap. I have been a high-end two channel guy and never really took the video thing too seriously. Shopping for speakers, I was looking for something inexpensive yet something that sounded decent. I settled on the Infinity Primus 150's and was actually pretty amazed at how good they were when hooked to a mid-level Sony Surround Receiver. I thought, what the heck, let's see how good they really are, so into the high-end two channel system they went. Pass Labs pre-amp, big Krell power amp, top of the line Sony SACD player, Krell Refrence phono pre, Nottingham table & Clearaudio Signature MC cartridge and Nordost cables. Now, I realize that no one is going to use these $200/pair speakers with 30 grand worth of electronics, but what better way to really find out what the Infinity's can do?
The real strong point of the little Primus 150's is mid-range purity of timbre and resolution of inner detail. Solo violin was open and airy without a hint of etch or hardness in the mid-frequencies.There was even a bit of the sound of wood and body to go along with string and bow. Female vocals were delivered without strain or fatigue. Rickie Lee Jones and Jennifer Warnes were very convincing with pretty darn good image and placement in the soundstage. Not state-of-the-art but certainly state-of-two hundred bucks. The top end of this speaker doesn't extend to the stratosphere but the tweeter didn't exhibit harshness or etch either. The last two octaves or so of the lower frequencies were non-existant but the upper bass was taut and controlled but, let's face it, Krell amps put a death grip on controlling speakers in this area.
Overall, I would say this speaker gives a great big heaping dose of what's right for damn little money, and rather than do a lot of things wrong it just chooses to no do that part at all.
Like I said earlier, state of the $200 art. If this is the class speaker you are shopping for, buy 'em. You'll spend more than their cost in gas trying to track down something better.