Focal Cobalt 806 S
Description: <ul> <li>2-way bass</li> <li>6-1/2" W cone mid-bass with 1" coil</li> <li>1" Tioxid 5 inverted dome tweeter with 3/4" coil</li> <li>Frequency Resonse 50 Hz - 22 kHz</li> <li>Efficiency 90 dB</li> </ul>

Submitted by tkyc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I originally post a review of the JMLab 806 TEC thinking they are the same as the 806S. Maybe they are but I am not sure. This is what I wrote about the JMLab 806S speakers. I purchase the JMLab Colablt 806's on sale and have been very impressed. They replaced a much loved pair of Paradigm Studio 20v2. The sound of JMLabs speakers was smoother and more refined than my previous speakers. They also imaged a little better. I agree that without a subwoofer I would not be happy. Bass is about the same as the Paradigms but no speaker I have heard this size can really handle low bass. The JMLabs work great with my 2 NHT subs. If you can afford a good subwoofer, like SVS, Hsu or Outlaw's, the combination will bring you very close to the really hi-end stuff, assuming you have good associated equipment. I highly recomment the 806's with the above in mind. At close out prices they are a steal in my book.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Steven Hauk a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am truly impressed by the Cobalt 806S. I'm playing them on an Adcom GFA-535 amp and a GFP-555 preamp. At the moment, listening to vinyl on a Gemini professional turntable and also CD's on a Pioneer PDR-509. It's a DJ turntable, but it sounds good to me.

What impresses me about the 806S speakers is the clarity. I'm hearing things in the music I couldn't hear with my old bookshelf speakers (JBL S38), which are being demoted to another room. There is wear on my Wynton Marsalis trumpet concertos vinyl record that I didn't know was there. That record is going to have to be demoted to the room where the JBL speakers are going.

The 806S speakers are fairly efficient and a little bright...ok...a lot bright. I'm accustomed to leaving the tone controls on my preamp in the bypass mode. For some of my music, I think I'll need to have the treble down. I usually expect a shortage of bass with bookshelf speakers and have usually supplemented them with a subwoofer. These speakers don't really need it. I played my old Sade vinyl records and got good, tight bass.

Imaging on these speakers is impressive, too. That sensation of having the musicians in the room with you came through very nicely on the Wynton Marsalis record and also on a Diana Krall CD. The CD defintely needed a treble reduction.

Another thing to add, just to be sure what I was hearing, I put every pair of speakers in my house under the same conditions as these and gave them a comparison listen. The JBL S38's are a little dull by comparison but have a smooth, musical quality. A similar but smaller model of JBL's gave similar results. A pair of Polks have limited range by comparison. A pair of Bostons similar to the Polks but not as severe a limitation.

That said...I think these speakers are just right for what I'm doing with them now...running two speakers without a sub and without surround or center speakers. They don't need abundant power and at 75W aren't rated for much. If you're a music aficionado...a fan of classical, jazz or whatever music that benefits from clarity, presence and range...these are great. If you're rocker...more inclined to crank up Van Halen than relax to a little Beethoven, I'm not sure if these are your solution. But if you want to feel like you've got the best seat in the house, maybe these are the ticket.

Purchased At:   Tweeter