Cambridge Soundworks Model Six by Henry Kloss
Description: Acoustic Suspension Loudspeakers: 8" Woofer, 1 3/4" tweeter

Submitted by Jazz Lover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
My philosophy has always been -- You need the right tool for the job. If the job is jazz -- or other music that accentuates highs and mids -- this is the speaker for you! On the other hand, if you're a bass junkie you'll be sorely disappointed. I'm listening to Oliver Nelson's "Jazz and the Abstract Blues," and the brass reproduces beautifully. It's loud, clear and coherent. I changed CD;'s to Yusef Lateef, and while the flute came through with flying colors, the bass and the drum track took a serious drubbing. Look, for the money you're paying for these babies what do you expect? A speaker that can everything? Fat chance! But, for the money, you will hear sounds accurately reproduced with feeling and expression at a level that that rivals much more expensive speakers. For jazz, classical, ambient, New Age, vocals, you're good. For rock, hip-hop, tribal drumming, look elsewhere. Of course, if you want to go to the trouble, a good subwoofer would remedy the lack of bass to some extent and make these speakers a great all around choice.

Submitted by leechungsr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had to write a review to reinforce everyone else that has written on these speakers. Holy moly these are a steal.

These speakers complement my vintage Pioneer SX-727 perfectly; nothing short of orgasmic. They are on 24inch high speaker stands, and sit 5.5inches from the wall. I have them mated to a powered Onkyo sub set to ~75hz and the transition is seamless. I imagine this is exactly how the artists intended to have their music played. Every detail is so natural, clean, and balanced. The next time these speakers go on sale I'm going to buy another set just in case Cambridge Soundworks stops production someday.

Most casual observers tell me "those speakers look 30 years old." I couldn't care less. My alternatives in this price range would be some very sloppy sounding ported bookshelf speakers.

As mentioned in previous reviews, I let the speakers break in for about 10 hours a day at moderate volumes for 3 days. By the end of this period, these speakers really transformed and began to sing!!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had to write a review to reinforce everyone else that has written on these speakers. If Bose had a product like the Model Six they would be advertising the hell out of it. Holy moly these are a steal.

These speakers complement my vintage Pioneer SX-727 perfectly; nothing short of orgasmic. I have them mated to a powered Onkyo sub set to ~75hz and the transition is seamless. I imagine this is exactly how the artists intended to have their music played. Every detail is so natural, clean, and balanced. The next time these speakers go on sale I'm going to buy another set just in case Cambridge Soundworks stops production someday.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by RobRob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Wow! Crisp, clear, accurate and amazing. These speakers blew me away. After reading all the reviews I was hoping for a nice sounding speaker, but I had a hard time believing that a set of $100 speakers could be as good as they were described. The reviewers were right, these Model 6 speakers sound better than any other speaker I've listened to! My entire music collection sounds better than it ever has.

I was using two large Yamaha PA speakers for my front theater channels and I wasn't happy with their sound for music reproduction--although they were great for movie sound. I purchased these Model 6's just for music and I'm extremely happy with their them. I love the accuracy and clarity these speakers generate. I've fallen love with my jazz collection all over again.

I have to agree with a previous reviewer, a set of four or six of these Model 6's plus a sub woofer would make an exceptional surround sound system. You simply cannot go wrong by purchasing these speakers.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by RyanRivera a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
After breaking these in for several days (essential for any musicality from these speakers), I am really enjoying listening to these! The bass goes as low as I have heard from any bookshelf speaker, being more on par with many medium-sized towers (my own test signals show strong response down to 40Hz and clearly audible response down to 30Hz). Midrange is smooth and solid, with an articulate, but relaxed high end. The clean, simple design is actually quite appealing (probably because nothing looks or feels cheap on these units). Volume levels are also quite impressive, and can vibrate an adjacent room at very high output levels on bass-heavy material without distortion (both rooms are relatively small, being about 15' square). That alone is a testament to the craftmanship. I believe the Model Sixes are the best speaker I have heard under $400/pr. Now I see that Cambridge Soundworks is selling them at $99/pr! Unequaled value in my opinion. For my setup these are placed close to the wall and have been paired with an Onkyo 100w/channel stereo receiver and Marantz CD player. Remember to break these in at moderate to high volume levels for many hours (24+) since these sound harsh and boxy when brand new.

Purchased At:   hifi.com