Cambridge Soundworks M80
Description: The M80 is the top-of-the-line Newton M Series bookshelf. Each beautiful real-wood enclosure contains an 8-inch woofer, a 3.5-inch midrange driver and a silk fabric tweeter. The three-way design ensures realistic and precise sound with wonderful stereo imaging, a trait often lacking from bookshelf speakers. All of the speakers in this line feature the finest drivers, precision internal crossover design and elegant enclosures. Great care has been taken in order to combine audiophile-level details and reasonable cost. The speakers may be positioned vertically or horizontally on any flat, stable surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to protect the finish of the speakers. The versatile M80's tweeter/mid-range mounting plate can be repositioned, in case you choose to place them horizontally. The M80's can also be bi-wired. Bi-wiring uses one length of speaker wire to drive the tweeter/mid-range section of the speaker and a separate length of speaker wire to drive the woofer. Both lengths of wire are connected to the same full-range amplifier speaker outputs. Available with knit grilles and in the same blonde maple and mahogany real-wood finishes as the Newton Series towers. Also available in slate. <br><br>

Submitted by jpsyoda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just bought a pair of m80s on eBay for around $100 shipped. I bi wired them and am driving them with my vintage Marantz 2238b. All I can say is wow... these speakers sound INCREDIBLE! I have owned ads l1290, Pioneer hpm100, jbl l100 t3, and other audiophile speakers. These keep up with the best of them. By far best bookshelf speakers I've owned. The sound is big, fairly detailed, crisp, without being harsh. Some have said they sound muddy... nope. Anything but. Very clear, great midrange, and solid, accurate bass. I won't be parting with these bad boys.

Submitted by dwayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
pretty good speakers and a joy to listen too

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
These speakers are cosmetically excellent, built tough, sound pretty good. Want a great tip? The M60's sound better! I have both sets and the bass is actually better on the 6" driver M60's. I run very very powerful carver amps and run the m80's bi'd with a second set of CSW t500's which rock.

Submitted by birchoak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have read almost all of the reviews here on the M80 and feel compelled to mention a few important things:

1) These speakers are meant to be bi-wired. This is a feature found on high-end speakers and should be taken advantage of. It will clear up any 'muddy' bass issues.
2) The amp you use is very important, for any speakers, and will color the sound of music almost as much as the speakers will! These speakers do best with clean power, I'd say at least 50 honest watts.
3) Any new speaker will need to be broken in before it sounds its best; times will vary but I'd guestimate about 20 hrs. of listening for the M80s.
4) Pick the speaker up, or try to. Feel the finish. Look at the binding posts on the rear. These are extremely well-made pieces with sufficient rigidity for chest-thumping bass. I don't care where they were made, and I can tell you this: if they were assembled in America they would sell for $1200 a pair, maybe more.
5) How good is your source? If you're listening to FM it's not a fair test. FM can sound great, but usually it's not a reliable source for judging speaker sound. How well-engineered was the album/recording? A poor home-made tape will sound equally poor on even the best stereo system.

Ok, that said, I ran a plain-Jane Alesis RA-100 studio amp with these. 75 clean watts, paid $100 for it at Daddy's Junky Music. I played CDs off my laptop and from a Salvation Army Sony CD player ($10). The M80s delivered tight, muscular bass, splendid mids and celestial highs. Did they go low enough to make all the dogs in the neighborhood howl? No. Did they go low enough to make me grin like a fool and shake my head? Yes! At times I would hear things on CDs that made me jump because I had never heard them on the passage before. These speakers are accurate enough to reveal deficiencies in the source material.

Fast-forward to February 2009. I'm running 160 watts (160 TRUE, RMS watts with dynamic peaks of 400 watts) into them. Radio Shack wire. No speaker stands, no special placement of speakers. I'm playing a tape (that's right, a TAPE) of Bob Seger's "Nutbush City Limits" I made from his 'Live Bullet' album and so help me God, it feels like the drummer is in my living room. I can feel the drumbeats in my body, through my chair (and it's a big chair), and I know I've got that sheepish grin on my face again. The speakers never sound like they've reached their limits (although 160 watts IS pretty much the limit before going with giant DJ speakers). The icing on the cake is that these speakers stand head and shoulders above virtually all other speakers in their physical beauty and understated elegance. They look nice in any room. They don't take over the living space. And they perform the 'ten-clowns-in-a-car' trick of sounding much, much bigger than they really are. I will never sell them and feel that $500 for the pair was a bargain.

Submitted by K_MANN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm no audiophile but these really don't sound good to me. The bass is just not there and overall the sound is very washy. I was really hoping to like these but when I compared them directly to my Klipshe SB-2 speakers I was shocked by how much better the klipshe sounded. The mid range is very good on the CSW and thats were I see their strength. You have to crank these things to here the bass. Thank gawd there is a good return policy.
Considering they only cost me $200.00 and I'm still bringing them back should tell you my opinion on them. These things look much better than they sound!

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks