Allison Acoustics Four
Description: <ul> <li>Minimum of 30 watts</li> <li>Per channel is required to produce 100 dB sound</li> <li>Mounted in the top panel</li> </ul>

Submitted by phileserver39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
My father sold me a pair of Allison Fours that he bought at a yard sale in CT for $5. $5 is all he charged me for them after we discovered that the woofers were shot. I had the woofers reconed and refoamed but 3 out of the four tweeters were also bad. I found a local shop that replaced all four paper cone tweeters for some Audax TW025A2 (either that or the A0) dome tweeters from Madisound. These tweeters very closely match the specs of the originals. I think that they had to route the cabinets a little to get the new tweeters to fit.

I can't honestly say what these Allisons sounded like with the paper tweets but holy mother of pearl do these speakers sound fantastic. I am using a tube preamp trough a THX certified NAD amp (back when the THX certification really meant something) and these speakers image and sound better than my Klipsch floor standers. Well worth the $5 I paid and the roughly $400 I put into them. I wish Allison was still around.

Submitted by Deadfeat1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
Purchased these gems, S/N D00357 and D00360, in Dec. 1976 for $175 each. After college I wanted to treat myself to a really good pair of speakers. I spent more than a month intensely auditioning a wide variety of speakers in the Baltimore/DC area. The Fours were among the first that I auditioned and I couldn't find any other speakers that I enjoyed more. To this day, they continue to perform as well as the day they were purchased. The woofers have been replaced twice. I consider the Fours to be one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco

Submitted by abobotek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
S/N D3913 and D3914 purchased in 1978 for $185 each. Refoamed in 2003.

These are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. The bass is as flat, undistorted and crisp as can be. High-frequency dispersion is excellent.

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco