VPI HW-19 IV TurnTables

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by stereowizard59 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
VPI HW-19 has exceptional rumble, wow & flutter dissapear when adding the SAMA. Inner detail is excellent, especially when using a moving coil, the Rega arm mates well with the Benz, which has high frequencies that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Output of the high output Benz is good, and the S/N with an outboard Phono stage brings it alive. The Rega arm is well reviewed for good reason, although I have toyed with the notion of moving from the RB300 to the RB900 or 1000.

Purchased At:   Denver shop, out of

Submitted by Scott Cambell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
After owning a succession of turntables during the 1980's, I wanted to make a "final" purchase of a high quality turntable that would allow me to fully enjoy my collection of 3000 LP's. The table had to be well built, provide for upgradability, and be compatible with a variety of tonearms. The VPI HW-19 seemed the best choice, so I bought the original model about 1990. Since then, I have upgraded through the Mark 3 version to the current Mark 4 version which has the same 20-pound acrylic and lead platter that was used on an earlier edition of the TNT, plus the spindle and thrust bearing used in the TNT, and the "Super Armboard" which is required to elevate the tonearm due to the much thicker platter. The tonearm that I currently use is the Rega RB900.

By turntable standards, the Mark 4 is relatively inexpensive -- even cheap when compared to "cost no object" turntables -- but it provides very high value for the dollar. After initial setup, this table just sails along making great music. The sound from good vinyl nearly matches CD's for quietness, and the entire frequency spectrum is beautifully reproduced. Bass is particularly powerful and clean for a turntable. I have young friends who have never heard a good turntable playing LP's, and they are astounded the first time they hear the VPI HW-19 Mk 4. Virtually all comment that they had no idea that vinyl LP's sounded so good, and many say they prefer the overall quality to all but the best CD's.

In short, if you are looking for one of the highest value, best built turntables that works well with many tonearms, and has excellent sound quality, I personally believe that the HW-19 Mk 4 is the best on the market at its price range. To get substantially better performance will cost you far more money, and will be realized only if combined with a state-of-the-art tonearm (such as VPI's JMW 10.5 or JMW 12.5 arm).

Purchased At:   JS Audio

Submitted by Ralph A. Perrini a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
The HW-19 Mk IV is the top model of VPI's HW-19 series, featuring the 20 lb platter from their TNT series. I'm using mine with a Triplanar Ultimate III tonearm with Cardas wiring and a Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000 moving coil cartridge. My records sound so quiet and dynamic my wife once acused me of trying to fool her using a hidden CD player! By the way, no CD player I've heard comes even close to the natural, wonderful sound of this record player. I believe the Mk IV is a very worthwile upgrade over the Mk III, a terrific 'table in it's own right, lowering the noise floor a tad and tightening up the bass. Speaking of bass, I never heard how excellent a bass line Paul McCartney laid down on The Beatles "Revolver", the song "Taxman", until I heard my MFSL LP on the HW-19 Mk IV! At a suggested retail of $1,850.00, this record player is a STEAL! I've heard record players that cost a lot more, but did not sound much, if anything, better! The thing is built like a tank, with it's REAL WOOD base, stainless steel and acrylic plinth, no wonder it's weight is 60 lbs! It's removeable tone arm board makes it a snap for compulsive arm swappers to do their thing. All in all, a superb, high quality product.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Barry a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is really a great product with exceptional build quality and excellent sound. What's really most impressive is the very low noise level from LPs. The sound stage is really very good with sounds emanating from well beyond the outer edges of the speakers and well in front and behind if you've got the ancillary equipment that lets you hear it. Images are very three dimensional and natural. I agree that it may not be the last word in bass reproduction the TNT series probably are. The table is very stable and not at all subject to any acoustical feedback in any normal set up position.
This thing weighs a ton but is very easy to set up. I have the SAMA and an early version of the PLC and they both take the table to another level further lowering the noise to below any audbility. Set up with the SAMA takes some care so that it's not contacting the base. New PLC's are better still as the voltage is lowered).

I suppose there are better tables out there but I can't image the benefits of spending more. This table lets you know what listening to records is all about. Buy one and you'll understand why so many people think CDs just aren't as good.

Submitted by CE a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:
When I received my VPI HW-19 MKIII, I was instantly floored by the mass of the unit....then when I got it all set up....I was AMAZED how much music in the records is extracted...my old AR XA TT which I have been using for 27 years was leaving most of the music in the grooves....With the Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge...the music comes alive....the Sumiko is mounted in the AudioQuest PT-6 arm with the upgraded cables from AudioQuest...it is great...I now find myself listien to LP's more than CD's..the highs are smoother and more natural with the voices and midrange is just smoother and more natural than the CD music..but the convience of the CD is unmatched...flipping records suck...with a CD changer the music keeps playing and pausing instantly from across teh room..overall I am impressed with the MKIII from VPI....

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile