VPI Aries Scout with 9 JMW Tonearm TurnTables

4.33/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1849.00

• Massive 1-1/4"-thick acrylic platter
  • Extremely stable 1-1/8"-thick MDF/12-gauge steel plate chassis
  • AC synchronous motor in a separate steel housing
  • Aries belt for smooth, quiet operation
  • Uni-pivot JMW-9 tonearm with removable armwand
  • Beautiful gloss black finish
  • Dimensions: 19" wide, 4" high, and 13" deep

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by fz1jmp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I have to honestly say his was the table that made me stop my upgrade-itis. Coupled with a Dynavector 20x (h) and a decent phono amp, it's pure music to my ears! I've been through roughly 15 tables over the years. I waited and waited to this exact table, with JMW-9 Memorial arm, say it for a silly price and grabbed it. I have it on an isolation stand. It does take patience in the setup, but no superman skills to set it up. Make sure you find a good cartridge as a match, if you don't you won't get the full sound. Once setup it does 1 thing as good as any table I have ever heard, it plays the music in the the grooves of a record! Sweet open pure analog sound. I find myself wearing the notes like a nice warm blanket, it envelops you. When I compare it to my transport and dac, it's just no comparison, the Scout wins hands down. I'm not too sure what planet the 2 odd reviews were from, but if your from the earth, this is a table that can't be beat for normal people with normal income.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by jack pollard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I have to honestly say his was the table that made me stop my upgrade-itis. Coupled with a Dynavector 20x (h) and a decent phono amp, it's pure music to my ears! I've been through roughly 15 tables over the years. I waited and waited to this exact table, with JMW-9 Memorial arm, say it for a silly price and grabbed it. I have it on an isolation stand. It does take patience in the setup, but no superman skills to set it up. Make sure you find a good cartridge as a match, if you don't you won't get the full sound. Once setup it does 1 thing as good as any table I have ever heard, it plays the music in the the grooves of a record! Sweet open pure analog sound. Go find some thrift shop lp's, clean them up and play them. I find myself wearing the notes like a nice warm blanket, it envelops you. When I compare it to my transport and dac, it's just no comparison, the Scout wins hands down. I'm not too sure what planet the 2 odd reviews were from, but if your from the earth, this is a table that can't be beat for normal people with normal income.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Steve Baugh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I picked up this turntable with the signature arm as a demo and saved a lot of money. I put an old audio technical 154 p-mount with adapter on the arm. Amazing performance. Clearly the best reviewed turntable on earth for the price, regardless of what the two odd-balls here say. Performance is a no-brainer when properly set up so I wont beat that horse here. But really what surprised me was the amazing customer service. Like I say I bought "demo" and saved some money. But there was a little platter wiggle on the bearing. So I sent an email and they instructed me to send it back for a replacement. The platter and bearing for a matched set. No request for receipts, no mention of warrantee, just send it in. I then requested a belt, and they threw that in for free. So I bought the VPI/dynavector cartridge because I knew these guys were the best. I was a little worried on my first "new" hifi purchase. I now know I have one of the best turntables ever made (in america no less!!) with amazing customer service. I am completely satisfied, on multiple levels.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by dragonknee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
    I have no idea what the previous two reviewers are talking about. This turntable is silly good for the money. I've tried music hall, rega, and clearaudio without anywhere near this performance. I will admit, the design of the tonearm is disturbing at first (the arm has a tapered cup that mates with a needle like point to allow for its movement), but once you hear the music; all is forgiven. Great imaging, dynamic contrasts, and texture to the music. The sound stage is huge. The most admirable quality of this set-up is the ability to extract subtle nuances of the music (low noise floor) without drawing attention to the fact that it is extracting all the info. In my experience there are 3 different types of equipment design styles. Those engineered to show off the details (I call this hi-fi type). Every little detail is too precisely displayed with the unfortunate effect of drawing attention to this ability. Type #2 is the nothing but the truth type that doesn't offend in any way. This type doesn't add warmth and doesn't add show, but does a good job of passing along a signal to the listener. Type #3 is the warm and textured type. This type looks to engage rather than impress (type 1). I classify the scout as a type #3. The highs are all there, the bass is properly weighted, and the music flows. This turntable is not for hi-fi people. It has a beautiful blend of musicality and detail. Something that isn't often found in any audio equipment. If this is something you look for in a piece of equipment, then this one is a keeper for sure. Find your own....mine's not going anywhere!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by sembor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
    Money for nothing! !!!!
    Miserable sibilant sound from any type of cartridges with
    absolutely unstable unbalanced tonearm.
    Six months tormental with plenty cartridges - no result...
    It is astonishing how a Stereophile guys put this TT to Recommended components "Class B" ???!!!! or they just have no concsience...
    Technics SL-1200 mk 2 MUST BE in stead of Scout!!!
    Around $2000 list price and they can't even drop to the TT box cheap Shure scale.
    Happy huntinf to VPI for next goof!

Purchased At:   VPI dealer sale