VPI 16.5 TurnTables

4.93/5 (14 Reviews)

Manually operated LP cleaner

Submitted by oldmgbguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
In the 40 odd years that I have played and collected vinyl LPs, I tried a variety of cleaning devices and gadgets. They were all just barely adequate. Despite my best efforts, some records seemed to accumulate some type of grunge that I could not remove.

The VPI HW 16.5 machine solved my record cleaning problems. It really works. A couple of my LPs had become almost unplayable, but the HW 16.5 cleaned the accumulated deposits out of their grooves and now they sound fine.

The other machines in the VPI line are more convenient to use because the cleaning fluid is applied automatically instead of manually. The top model spins the record in both directions which should be a bit more effective. But, those machines are much more expensive, and bulkier too. The HW 16.5 is a basic machine, but it gets the job done. I am very satisfied with mine.

I would like to reserve the top rating of 5 for products like the more automated machines in the VPI line-up. As a basic machine, the HW 16.5 certainly merits a Very Good rating of 4. This is a fine product that I expect will last a lifetime.

Cons

The machine is bulky and noisy in use.

Pros

It works. If you play LPs, you need a machine like this.

Submitted by daddy_guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
OK. I know you're asking yourself.....$400.000 for a record cleaning machine??? I know I did. I thought, no way, uh uh...Then I looked at my 35 year old record collection, realized I still really love my vinyl, and that I NEED to take care of my records. This machine loves to take care of your records. It NEEDS to take care of your records. That is it's sole mission in life. It works just as advertised....how simple....clean the record, then VACUUM up the residue.....night and day difference on all vinyl....new or old, dirty, or REALLY dirty......this machine (will take some practice, and a few tricks learned through constant use, along with cleaners, brushes, etc..)will make your records look almost new, and make them sound way better than ever......The end result is amazing...better than any other way to clean vinyl....
Alot of money to spend?? Yep, but if you love your vinyl, and want to take care of it, this machine will do all that for you.
Shop around for some good brushes, cleaners, etc, and with this machine, you are set. Better than any other method. A real miracle for vinyl!!! You do love your vinyl, don't you?? You do want to take good care of it, don't you???? Make the move. You will not regret it.

Submitted by Michael Heine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
What a deal! You pay a rather steep entrance price but what you get back is all your old LPs. In my case 3000. That is priceless.

Purchased At:   elusive disc

Submitted by Bill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This machine is worth every penny. It is a blast pulling out my old records and turning them into near mint beauties. It is even more fun finding gems in the used bins and converting them to pristine quality. I I recently converted back to LPlistening. CDs have come along way since the 80s, but there is nothing like listening to a clean LP.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This machine is the investment that will increase
your enjoyment of vinyl. It's easy to use and the
results will amaze you. Even if the LP still has surface
noise, the noise is GREATLY reduced and the music
becomes more dynamic with greater depth and impact.
If you have 500 or more LPs, get one of these machines
you will NOT be sorry!

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5

Hey everyone. I guess I will start by updating my fellow audio brothers on a couple of things. First of all, I am sure some of you are wondering how it is that I am hemmoraging cash at a warp speed rate. Well...I did not win a lottery. I actually switched jobs, more specifically, i was stole ... Read More »

Vpi 16.5

I'm thinking of getting this as it's not a whole lot more than the Nitty Gritty - any opinions on it. They want $540 including tax and shipping and insurance and it comes with one bottle of solution and brush. ThanksRead More »

60.0 WA BLACK: