Thorens TD-280 MKIV TurnTables

2.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Belt drive turntable with auto lift/shutoff at end of play.

Submitted by aglindh a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought my TD280mkIV about 10 yrs ago used, for about $200. Better than my old turntables, noticeably so. But I'm no audiophile. But now it's stopped working, motor won't spin, only schematic I can find is for a MKII, electronics seem similar, motor seems to be getting the required voltages, shaft just vibrates, so I assume motor is shot. Not sure it's worth repairing, or if a replacement motor could even be found.
Advice welcome. If you've got a surplus one with good motor you'd like to get rid of, lemme know. Or if you want this one for parts, get in touch. Meanwhile I'll work on my old TD150 which is working, and sure is simple, and may sound better anyway. So what if it's not auto-shutoff.
thanks

Submitted by rolamo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have the MkII version and it was bought in 1988. This is my first turntable and I'm still enjoying it. I've used it with Ortofon OM10, OM20 and has now replaced the OM20 (standard, not super) with a Denon DL-110. The bass has improved (goes deeper) and I can also hear a new found, and very pleasing, smoothness to the higher frequencies. The Denon rock's - having a tighter and more rhytmmic, more "alive" than the OM20. But the OM20 had a slightly more focused soundstage (better detailing). Overall, the DL-110 is more musical sounding.

My Thorens has given me great service since day one. Very reliable! I haven't done anything to it. I just replace cartridge (stylus) and belt now and then, nothing more. So this must be very good value for money!

About the belt slip problems that I've read here... When the belt was slipping, I replaced it. Since 1988, I've replaced it three times. The last belt seems to have higher quality than the past ones. (replaced it 3 years ago, still no problem).

I use my turntable... hm, about 5 - 7 hours a month.

Submitted by Boozerocket a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I actually purchased this turntable about ten years ago.(This is the 280 Exclusiv, I don't know how it differs from other 280's) The obvious design problem of a convex motor pulley caused me to introduce it to my foot after only a few weeks of use. It has been sitting in my attic ever since. I recently hauled this thing out of the cob webs with the intention of making it work or tossing it out. The fix was quite simple. A bottle of CG Electronics' "Belt & Drive Non-Slip" did the trick. You can purchase that at http://www.tubesandmore.com/. Anyways, the turntable had a Shure V15 V-MR that was never even broken in. I plugged it into my system and couldn't have been more pleased. I won't bother with a detailed account of sonic virtues. I realize the good sound is mostly the result of the fine cartridge used. My point of this review is to inform anybody who cares that this turntable can be made to work for less than $10. With the exception of the motor pulley,the build quality is great. I am betting that you can pick these things up dirt cheap. If so, with the use of some non-slip and a good cartridge, you could have a fine turntable for a lot less than anything new. Just for comparison, this turntable with the V15 sounds better than my Music Hall mmf 5 with its stock Goldring. I will not be using the Thorens. I got it up and running for a family member. I will however, be installing a new V15 on my Music Hall.

Submitted by Jeremy Verity a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall an OK turntable but you could do better with and old MKII Rega or even a ecent jap turntable.
OM10 sounds a bit enthusiastic in the upper mid range, and lacks finesse, but for what you pay for it you can't complain.

Purchased At:   newspaper private se

Submitted by hao pan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
i bought this TT as used in mint condition in u.k,price paid in slerling and had used it for 2 monthes. i had opened the back of the deck, the number on it says it was made in 1997. Thorens td 280 iv provides a warm sound you expect from a tt,mine fitted with a ortofon ome cartridge, which make background noise a little bit lower comparing with the originall audio technica cartridge. the arm is the weakest link of the thorens, the count weight is poorly made,and it is hard to adjust it to let arm float freely, and the back of the plintch made of laminted wood,which is a crap! a terrible 'bang' sound when it stops playing. in contrast, the lid is very stable,and the clerning brush is very useful to clear the vinyls,moreover sound is not too bad.i also have a old dual cs 503-1 turntable, i think you can not easily say the sound of the old one definetly better than the new,both of them sound nice depends on your taste of music and listening, but i can easily say my old dual was guality made, and looks gorges. i gave the rating of throens based on a secondhand TT.

the other equipment i use with this deck are:
sansui as-80 amp
70's celetion ditton 15 speaker.
cable talk cable.