Thorens TD-124 Mk II TurnTables

Submitted by Tony orton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
Well Ive found it Aural bliss ! A pure original boxed n kept well tucked away and never moved fir over 35 or so years a concours Thorens TD 124 mk2 with as set up by the pros sme 3009 series 11 arm and original great condition shure cartridge ( the cartridge isnt good enough for me though ) It came with loads of again mint pamflets and manuals . its beautiful . priceless . should be in a museum really . any top offers anyone ? x

Submitted by hi5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've been using Michell GyroDec RB300 and I'm quite happy with the performance. Vivid vocal, nicely placed musical instrument and good depth.

But now I've sold the GyroDec and bought the TD124MKII / SME 3012. The sounds is much more detailed,Full bodied sound, big sounding and I can hear things that I can't never heard before on Gyro. I happy!!

hooked with these equipment:-
John Shearne Phase 2 Reference with John Phono Stage.
Mission 752
Kimber 8TC biwire

Submitted by bs134501 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a very good performer ! I use it with a SME3012 tonearm and Ortofon SPU GM cartridge. There is one thing this turntable has much better compared to others : Rhytm !!! The definition of sound into time is very good indeed. It seems the combination of motor/belt/rubber wheel/heavy platter is very good. Other turntables sound "nervous" to me. Even if they are quartz-driven. If you find one in good working condition, just buy it !

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Steve Gomersall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the 124 from a sound engineer friend who used it to broadcast on Irish radio for years before finally having to introduce c.d.'s. He refurbished it with t.l.c. and added a gorgeous solid cherry plinth. I now hear things that I didn't with my TD160, and still can't believe the bass and warmth, and the top end clarity and space is astounding. I have an SME 3009 arm, which is even better than the Ortofon it came with (and that was amazing). I hope I live long enough to enjoy recording all my vinyl to c.d. for the car. When I tell my friends they are listening to 20-40 year old original albums it just blows them away! I used to have a Garrard 401 but the 124 is the canine's sweetbreads!

Purchased At:   privately

Submitted by ham108 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awesome! Plays 45 and 78 as well as 33's. Very heavy platter spins forever on the precision Swiss bearings. Has bubble level built in. Low rumble and excellent isolation are hallmarks of this design. I think mine came out of an old radio station and has a pedestrian arm with a Shure cartridge. It still sounds wonderful. As good as my Linn. Get one if you can.

Purchased At:   yard sale