Technics SL D2 TurnTables

4.22/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by mjcmt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
This is the third D2 turntable I've owned. Each time I end up selling it in hopes for something better in a budget turntable, and each time I buy another D2 because there is no better turntable for the used price they can be attained at. Thankfully there are plenty of them out there to buy another one. The are good enough to spend the extra money on a good cartridge. Enough said.

Submitted by Randall Heath a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Bottom Line:
Picked this D2 up on the Bay for $79 with an inexpensive Shure cart included. Arrived this morning via USPS surpisingly intact (the seller had the presence of mind to remove the platter and wrap it separately).
Took it out of the box, switched the cart to an Ortofon om5e (also inexpensive), unplugged my PL-518 and was very impressed.

My Pioneer was refurbished a year or so back and has performed very well for such an old table, but I have to say this D2 flat blew it out of the water. It may just be the luck of the draw, but I also own an SL-1700 (which I've yet to compare to the D2) and I'm officially sold on the old Technics tables. For the money (paid $100 for the 1700 a few months ago- also on EB) I think they're very hard to beat.

Plan to pass the 518 along to my son- never thought I'd be saying that.

Submitted by Claude Rorabaugh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Technics SLD2 is a very nice turntable for ripping vinyl. I also have a very nice Project table with an Oyster Blue Point cart, but it takes so much time to change and balance cartridges that a simple direct drive with changeable cartridges for archival purposes was in order. It's easy to change head shell cartridges, balance and set anti-skate on this table.

For the older Technics I now have three head shells and three carts for various needs. A Shure M92E eliptical for all around normal LP playing, a Shure SC35 for those old records that need to be tracked deep, and a another Oyster with a conical, for ok to fair disks.

The Blue Point stays on the big Project turntable with the speed box in the main living room set up.

Other than no quart lock for the speed control, I like the table. I had an SL1200 but traded it for part of a payment on other gear. I replaced it with a Pioneer belt drive, but when I saw this little unit, I went back to direct drive - because pitch control is very helpful when working in restoration.

Rumble on a virgin disk is about 65 db down - very good since LP's have no more than a 40 db dynamic range. Belt drive players are about 60 db down.

I have made some modifications:

First replaced the ground wire and the RCA interconnects with better "wire."

I have not modified the plinth, but have the tables feet on a piece of ceramic tile and then on 1" foam on my work space. My wife made a nice vinyl cloth cover as the clear plastic piece was shot.

So sonically it is very good, an in fact comparing my Project RPM 61.1 same record to the Technics, it's very close. I like the brightness of the Shure cartridge over the Blue Point! A $60 cart that sounds as good as a $600 unit.

Anyway my Preamp is the Emotiva USP1 in the den, which is hooked up to my PC. I use a simple Berhringer USB audio interface into my WinXP PC and Adobe Audition for sound recording and editing.

Cheers!

Submitted by Dirk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
good for the price
great sound, even better with a good cartridge
sure its plastic, but remember the ones around today are over 30 years old and have held up
honestly, what can you buy today that will last 30 years? nothing....

so enjoy, if you find one at a reasonable price, buy one

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Scored this direct-drive beauty from a second-hand store for $20. Underneath 22 years of grime & dirt lay one magnificent sounding turntable. Soundstage is very deep, precise, & nicely detailed. Excellent mid-range and very clear & open top-end, with pianos & horn sections sounding just right. Bass response very tight & punchy, with bass guitars nicely rendered. I love this turntable for jazz & classical music, as it seems to make that type of music really shine. Stability of speed is very, very good. All in all, a really nice turntable, which apparently can be tweaked to sound even better.

technics sl d2 transformer info

have a technics turntable sl d2. the transformer is no good. can't find the part anywhere or the spec: Can anyone tell me what the secondary voltage is on the transformer. I try ever where. some one told me 30 to 40 VAC should work, he said there is a built in power regulator in the main board. So ... Read More »

Wood Technology: