TEAC P A688 TurnTables

- Built-in phono amplifier with equalization On/Off switch.
- Belt-drive system with Precision DC Servo motor.
- Dynamic balanced-type tonearm.
- Two speeds: 33 1/3 and 45 RPM.
- 45 RPM adapter included.
- Detachable dust cover.

Submitted by lmhs1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this turntable my freshmen year of high school to play my collection of classic rock LPs, which it did very well for the first few years. The one thing I have found as this turntable has aged, I am now a college sophomore and a music major, is that the pitch accuracy has gone from fairly good, to a little funny. Sometimes it plays almost on pitch, but there are times when it seems to be running fast. I think this is probably related to the fact that i listened to it almost constantly. Despite the pitch problems I would still recomend it or something similar as the bare minimum anyone buy for a turntable. The moving magnet cartridge tracks lightly but accurately so there is minimal record wear, and compared with my better turntables the setup is very easy, also it is possible to hook up into a minisystem or modern reciever without the purchase of pre-amp. The headshell doesn't have a really good grip for manual operation but that doesn't matter as this is a fully automatic turntable that even someone used to playing CDs should be able to use. Also I presonally like the overall sound of the Audio Technica cartridges, very clean, without overemphasising the bass or the mid-range. Anyone used to the old ceramic and crystal cartridges of the past owes their vinyl an upgrade to this turntable or a similar model with the MM cartridge.

Purchased At:   Service Merchandise