Sumiko Pro-Ject RM-9 Reference Belt-Drive Turntable TurnTables

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

Submitted by Rick Lee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
Table was purchased directly from Sumiko on accomadation with older Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge included. My store was a dealer but nobody seemed to be up on tables so I decided to be the guinee pig and bought this table because it seemed to have good basic design. I wasn't expecting much. My reference system is roughly $20,000.

I initially tried a Creek phono pre and sent the output into my reference system. The sound was quite detailed and much more alive than any CD player i had heard either in my system or at the store. We sold expensive gear including Krell, McIntosh, Sonus Faber and you name it. I was pretty impressed right off the bat.

I had vaguely remembered that vinyl sounded great way back in the day but this was beyond my wildest expectations. My equipment nowadays is miles ahead of what passed for excellent back in the 60s and 70s.

So that much was established. Tables definitely deserved a place in my system even if they are a pain to set up, clean records, watch out for scratches etc etc.

Then the Creek phono pre died just out of warantee. I had a dependable phono pre in a Bryston preamp but it was barely adequate. Quiet yes. But no balls or detail or three dimensional palpability.

And I had a lingering feeling that the old model Blue Point Special was a bit hard sounding and even screechy the more I listened to it. I was fast becoming picky as the much higher resolution had spoiled me more and more. What to do?

After searching around quite a bit I decided the value priced Jolida model 9 tube phono pre was easily up to the task of running cartridges in the $500 to $1500 range including medium output moving coil types. I have been more than happy with how it works with every cartridge I have tried as it is just loaded with adjustments for input sensitivity, tone, power transfer, and output drive.

The Jolida appeals to me as it allows me to get every drop of performance out of it that it can offer. I would prefer that to a more accomplished unit that can not be optomised for best effect.

I bought a handful of cartridges (Ortofon, Sumiko, Grado) and had a blast seeing how many ways the table could provide thrills and chills musically speaking for not too much money.

Which leads me back to the RM-9, part two. This is where I decided to purchase Mikey Fremer's DVD on how to perfectly adjust a table. And boy that helped. I got more sound out of the cartridges and realized there was a lot left on the table, pun intended.

And then I spent a long time constructing various support systems to isolate the table from the floor and air bourne vibrations of my extremely powerful speaker array.

Again, bingo. The RM-9 really shines when set on a base of styrofoam, wood, rubber and sorbethane mixed up to de couple vibration. Then the arm and cartridge can give their all without adding any distortion to the sound. You hear everything much more detailed as though towells had been removed from over your speakers. My table now sits proudly on my home made stack of vibration killers. Hey it even looks cool as the wood part is high gloss black and it provided a spot to tuck away the Jolida.

IWhile on the subject of tweaks that are important let me add I experimented with turntable rubber record mats as the bare acrylic platter seemed to be asking for trouble. I tried the Sorbothane mat and it ruined my records by eating the vinyl right off them. Ooops. Then I tried Herbie's Way Excellent mat and folks we have a clear winner. This mat added tone galore to the mid bass and lower mids and took some of the hardness off the edge of the tone. Wow. Best mat and I tried probably four or five before finding it.

Overall I would say mission accomplished. The RM-9 really had a lot to teach me and a lot to offer as I went through the process of getting to know it better. If this is any indication of the rest of the Pro-Ject line (which the reviewers all seem to like very much) then I must add my thanks to Sumiko for importing such a fine company into the states.

I should add that I am in no way associated directly with the industry in a professional capacity anymore. This is not hype, just one man's opinion.

Lots of fun and highly recommended. Enjoy.

Purchased At:   factory

Submitted by Richard Lee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Entry Level High End Table

Purchased At:   Harvey Electronics