SOTA Comet TurnTables

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $749.00

Belt drive, 4 pt. elastic suspension, LMT-111 tonearm

Submitted by smartin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just had to add to my old review. For the past two years I've been concentrating on building up my CD sound and purchased the P1/P3 from Perpetual Technologies; purchase a class A superaudio dvd/cd player (Sony 9000ES-built like a tank) to work as a transport and allow me to enjoy the pleasures of sacd.....and I did not purchase any albums during this time of upgrade, thinking that the cd had finally fully grown....well guess what, I recently purchased a couple of new cartridges cause I wanted to compare my new cd sound with anolog (grado sota statement and clear audio aurum beta s); also just purchased an 18" sub....The COMET turntable is still right up there with the best....with all this upgrading I'm finding that I still love to listen to Albums...so off to Denver to spend a couple more hunderd dollars on albums after neglecting my self for the past two years, thinking the turntable was a thing of the past....IT'S NOT!
Just as a note, when I had the blue point special w/comet setup I could do A/B comparsion of cd/turntable with volume match....believe it or not you could not hear the difference, you had to sit and list and what you noticed was a "relaxation" that would take place in the back of your neck...after studying CDs I found that since the cd carrys 0s and 1s and red book is at such a low sample rate, it was missing information. So, while listing to CDs my mind was looking for the missed notes while the anolog (comet/bp sepcial) gave it all to me....
I must admit though, with my new upgraded system (everything but turntable and PreAmp (conrad johnson Premier 14)...I am very happy with any of my front end components to listen too!
Note2: My new cd front end cost me about $3800, yet my turntable/carteridge/phonopreamp(camelotPro w Charm II) only cost $1800 and sound equaly and sometimes better than the cd equipment!!!!

Purchased At:   Needle Doctor

Submitted by Steve Martin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Used with the "sink" and the cones that come with it really enhanced the base and solidfied the sound stage. Used with the Blue Point special it captures my soul (as stated in stereophile).

Submitted by MJM a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1997

Bottom Line:
I am using a SOTA Comet 'table with the SOTA Reflex Clamp, purchased with a Grado cartridge all thru AUDIO ADVISOR. The sound is great and I reccommend talking to the great guys at AA. Wide open soundstage--percussion is very realistic. The clamp is a necessity, and beware-- the lid is very susceptable to carrying microphonics to the arm so it is best removed to serious listening. Very well worth the money so get one while you can!!

SOTA Comet turntable

I am thinking about a new ttable. My 10+ year old Rega is still sounding good and performing properly. I will be keeping the Rega. I am interested in another table which I could have another cartridge mounted. I do not need another table but I want one. I have been thinking about the SOTA Comet o ... Read More »

TARA LABS: