Rega Planar 2 TurnTables

4.41/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $495.00

The plinth design is of a low mass particulate core sandwiched by highly rigid phenolic laminates. The P2 uses a derivative of the new ultra low vibration state of the art adhesive mounted motor assembly borrowed from the P3. The Platter is CNC machined HDF which is then metallized, giving a platter with good mass and accuracy.

Finally the P2 carries the legendary Rega RB250 tonearm in its latest guise. (The choice of many other turntable manufacturers).

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had the Rega II for 23 years and it has not failed.

But it was not all wine and roses - in fact lots of Whine - actually induced resonant distortion.

The design is simple, but has a couple of flaws

The glass platter - rings like a bell and the deck vibrates when played at high levels

First the platter - I purchased a Mission sorbathane turntable mat - it was good but not great - so I appied the same deadening principle as Mission does to the topside of the platter, to the bottom side - I pasted 1/16th inch thick cork to the underside - wow - what a difference - NO RING at all.

Next the deck - same treatment - applied the 1/16th thick cork to both top and undersides of the deck

Lastly - what do I sit it on?
Regular shelving of the particle board variety vibrates like crazy.

I Need low mass material with minimal surface area but relatively stiff.

!/4 inch mahogany ply - with 1.5 inch holes to reduce the surface area and to maintain strength - a couple of bracing strips (in the form of L shaped molding) and to top it off - support the shelf on spiked feet

Now this turntable is awsome - can be played at mind numbing levels without any resonant distortion

No more vibration - total cost $60 for cork, plywood and Mission mat

I would stack this deck up against a pile of more expensive decks

Only one last problem - you cannot use the Grado cartridge because they are not sheilded - you'll get lots of hum!

NOTE: The hum is not due to earth problems - it increases linearly as the cartridge approaches the unsheilded motor - only occurs when unit is turned on

Purchased At:   Sault Ste Marie

Submitted by Prune_Phace a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Excellent Turntable for the money and quite a bit more.
Fast,detailed with a good solid powerful bass.
Works well with good quality equipment

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Brian80 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
nice simple build; very little to go wrong with this manual turntable. recieved without any flaws except for slightly out-of-round felt platter mat and warped dustcover. these "flaws" are not severe enough to warrant a return. the tonearm is nice and setup was easy. i mounted a clearaudio aurum classics wood MM cartridge within 15 minutes and was listening to vinyl 10 minutes later. the turntable/cartridge combo sounds great with good headphones. the cuing doesn's seem to lift high enough on some records - minor problem if one is careful. one also must be careful when lifting the dustcover - don't let your kids flip a record unless you are prepared for the full weight of the cover to come crashing down on the plinth.

Purchased At:   online at www.refere

Submitted by mike demir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
worst turntable I ever bought, it comes with cheap press wood base, tone arm is looking good, wiring and quality of the wires is a nightmare, platter is some kind of wooden junk, on/off switch is similar to cheap $5.00 worth of switch, dust cover is nice looking but the hinges are plastic and will break up, sound quality is I don't know buzz comes a lot, I try all of the plugs in the house, same buzz in every plugs, I got rid of it for a half price 3 mounth after the puchase, don't ever buy this junk, you better of buying an older ariston, linn, thorenz, or new turntable in the market made in the Europe, less than half price called PROJECT, I check their web site it looks much better than Rega, and well put together features in that one, I will try it if I don't find an Ariston rd11, I try this rega with three different preamplifiers I have and they all are great preamplifiers, McIntosh C28/ Adcom 555, and aufdible illusion modulus 3A, same noise and buzz was there all the time, I try it with Grace 9f, and shure 15 type 3, a lot of work for a little fun, they have CD player now out in the market, I see it sounds not vey good, I also notice Rega TT in 1983 with a wooden arm, humid wheathers is not to good for that arm, I didn't like their sound and it was a junk then and same junk worth about $180.00 or $190.00 but they are selling it for a furtune. they build a name yuppies like the style. Please don't make mistake as I did, if you are a hard core listener, look for something else.

Purchased At:   sound room

Submitted by afro18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let me first fully describe my system. I have a Moth Alamo (copy from Rega of 2) with heavy modifications. I have an acrylic platter, Origin Live external and internal wire mods, Origin Live counterweight mod using a Goldring 1006 cartridge. It's plugged into a Cambridge Audio A500 (with add-in phono chip), using IXOS tri-braid speaker wire into Klipsch SB-2's.

Now, the sound.

I'm using Record 8 from the Final Village Vanguard Sessions of Bill Evans (Mosiac Records). The sound is full and has nice bass to it. The piano tone is full with decay and spaciousness. Reverb is also present.

I'd rate this more natural then my Rotel 955 CD player.

Purchased At:   www.britaudio.com

Rega Planar 2 Help

New member needs advice. I have 250.00 invested in this tt.It has R-200 arm and glass platter,no VTA or Azimuth adjustment.Although it sounds decent,I would appreciate some advice from members.My thoughts are to replace the arm,looking at a Rega/Moth 250 with Mitchell Tecno weight with the Incognito ... Read More »

Rega Planar 2 has new shoes!

I am sitting in amazement at the current sound of my Rega turntable. I just received a set of RDC cones that are amazing. Ths soundstage is wider, deeper and more open. Bass is tighter and more powerful. I had noticed some improvements with the Mod Squad Tiptoes but the overall sound began to sound ... Read More »

Rega Planar 2 tweaked again!

I have been curious about replacement counterweights for the RB tonearms and all the claims for improved performance. This morning I replaced the stock weight with the Michell Tecno Weight. The MTW rides lower on the tonearm for better tracking and lower distortion. My first reaction was a very silk ... Read More »

Next Rega Planar 2 mod

So far I have had my RB 250 rewired and replaced the turntables plastic subplatter with the deepgroove subplatter. The next mod I am interested in is the dropped counterweight. I am concerned that it will be a little difficult setting tracking force moving and locking in the weight. With the RB 300 ... Read More »

Rega Planar 2 problems

i have an older rega planar 2 tt (wood trim & glass platter) that i acquired through ebay last year, and it's gotten very slow lately (down to about 18rpm w/o record). i've read most of the previous symptoms & suggested remedies here at audioreview (as well as at audioasylum & ecoustics) ... JohnMi ... Read More »

BLG CP024: