Rega P3-24 TurnTables

• Rugged reliability
  • High quality components

Submitted by stratman672001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this 'table to replace a dead 27 year old Pioneer PL400, and this is the best table I've ever owned. It came with the Rega Elys2 cart premounted and the sound of that was very good if a little dark. I replaced this with an Audio Technica AT440MLa and was greeted with a fantastic sound, but also a very low level 60 cycle hum. It seems that AT's cart designs are not shielded (at least not that one) nor is the Rega's motor (they also hum with Grados)... Pity as it is a great cart in its own right. I have since put the Elys back on, but, being the tweeker that I am, I'm looking into other carts. I have a Denon 103S that is in need of a retip, but the Ortofon 2m Black looks really sweet. The build quality of this 'table is fantastic at its price point, but it has a little quirk. It makes a tiny squeak on initial startup, but is quiet for the duration of the listening session. My dealer said it's nothing to worry about and that it's just the belt. Speed issues with earlier versions have been resolved. On the whole this is a great 'table and worth every penny. Just be sure to get the TT PSU as well unless you want to manually change the pulley (I sure don't).

Product model year:   2008