Project RPM 9X TurnTables

• Acrylic platter with brass record puck
  • Azimuth despite fixed headshell
  • Vertical tracing angle adjustable
  • Drive motor housed in separate base
  • Conical carbon fibre

Submitted by jefftsefu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
Before I purchase this TT I studied all famous TT design and settle on this one because it's biggest bang for the bucks new or used.

The platter and base is solid and not a floating design like LP12. I hate floating design which could accidentally destroy the needle if you bump into the platter by mistake. With the 9.1X I can slap my figures while it's playing and no adverse effect on the sound. With a floating design you need to wait for the whole thing to damp and settle in. There are some clever oil damping floating design but very expensive.

The design is first class and simple enough for easy maintenance. Anything overly complicated are not going to last too long because of lack of parts and much higher chance of failing. The motor can be placed further away when the tension of the belt losse up over time. The extra upgrade option like the speedbox is a big plus as well.

Sound is solid, detailed, dynamic and I cannot find any fault with the tonearm setup correctly. The only thing I don't like is the anti-skate weight thread which tend to age easily. This make the anti-skating tension unstable. I fix it with some oil to soften the thread.

Purchased At:   On-line

Submitted by glenn kemp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have had many turntable arm combinations from michell, technics, garrard and philips and cartridge combinations and phono arms.I also divorced myself from vinyl for a decade using varying CD players from musical fidelity, audio analogue upto my shanling CD-T100.Then i returned to vinyl building my own modified technics turntable with upgraded rega arm and wow. This now moved me from moving magnet to moving coil using ortofon MCIO, MC15, Audio Technica OC9,AT33 PTG, Denon 301mk2 & denon DL 103R. Througout all these moves their was a noticable sound progression to my ears and then i purchased a used a used PROJECT RPM 9X Turntable which was demed before purchase and was cleary a very detailed and dynamic turntable used with audio technica moving coil cartridges, dynavector which shows its strengths. then i purchased the speed box the SE model because i hate fingering the belt between pulleys and the focus became sharper the top and bottom end was moved to another level, the extration of detail is awesome and the final move I,ve fitted a denon DL 103R moving coil and your seriously in the higher league. I am talking about the sme 2010, 2020 and the sme v series arm which my friend owns. Sound for pound this is the best purchase you can make under 3000 pounds. by alternatives at your peril