Pro-Ject Speed Box II TurnTables

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $159.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

No need to move belts with Pro-Jects speed box II for turntables--you can switch from 33rpm to 45 rpm with its electronic push-button speed changer. compatible with select Pro-Ject turntables,provides pushbutton speed change between 33-1/3 and 45 rpm playback

Submitted by jjcllc03 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
Weighing in at just over a pound with a retail price of $129, this mighty mite improves the sound of a Pro-ject or Music Hall turntable in such a dramatic fashion, it'll knock your socks off!

The Speed Box II is a quartz-generated, high precision electronic speed control that provides stable voltage and frequency controlled AC power to 16V AC turntable motors such as those found on many of Pro-Ject's turntables, as well as those sold by Music Hall (even though the motor on my MMF-7 is often referred to as a 12V motor, its actual output is higher than 16 V). In addition to the Speed Box II, Pro-ject also provides a small wall wart power supply for the unit similar to the one that comes with a turntable motor.

In addition to speed control, the Speed Box II also facilitates electronic speed change from 33- to 45-RPM at the push of a button, as opposed to moving the belt to a larger or smaller motor pulley. To use the Speed Box II, you need to place your belt in the proper pulley. In the U.S. (60 Hz) that means you place the belt in the larger motor pulley (the 45-RPM pulley). In Europe, you would purchase the Speed Box II for 50 Hz and place your belt in the smaller pulley (the 33-RPM pulley). Once everything is hooked up, use the switch on your turntable motor to start playback and push the button on the front of the Speed Box II if you want to change your RPM speed. The device itself is energized 24/7 and is always on.

I was impressed by the impact this little box had on the sound generated by my MMF-7. Certain improvements were obvious; the platter turned at a stable speed which improved the turntable's pitch. Bass even improved due to the reduction in the slight phase shifting effects of speed instability. However, what really impressed me is the reduction of background noise and the gain in transparency.

The Speed Box II allows for a more relaxed and resolved presentation. Stereo images are even more tightly focused and graininess in voices and percussion is reduced. For instance, some graininess that I'd heard in Simply Red's "Sad Old Red" all but disappeared. His voice seemed so present, it was as if he was practically in the room. A sense of artificial edge on the high hat in the song disappeared, resulting in a more realistic and natural performance.

At first, I thought I'd heard a slight loss of dynamics, but soon realized that what I'd heard was greater detail and increased transient resolution with less of a hard edge on the attack. In other words, things just sound more natural rather than forced. For instance in the Master Recording of Fleetwood Mac's "Fleetwood Mac" album, on Stevie Nicks' "Landslide," the quieter background added to the sense of space around the acoustic guitars. Moreover, Stevie's voice was more tightly focused than it had been before the Speed Box II was in my system.

So, there you have it. For $129, this device is a no-brainer if you own the appropriate Pro-ject or Music Hall turntable (MMF-7, MMF-9 and, perhaps, the MMF-5 if it has a wall wart power supply) because it's one of the most cost-effective improvements you can make to your system.

Purchased At:   Needle Doctor

Submitted by Maprik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
THIS REVEW IS FOR THE SE II which is more expensive that the SpeedBox II. I bought the Speed Box SE II because I wanted to make sure my Rega P25 was running at the correct speed and also for the ease of changing between 33 and 45 rpm records. I had read about the positive audible effects as well ("Your TT will sound like it costs twice as much!") so I was curious. Well, after 1 day of listening I can say that there is definitely an increase is my musical involvement. I can't say that I can hear an audible improvement in bass extension, timbre, tonality, high frequency, soundstaging, imaging, etc., BUT I do sense that there is an indescribeable increased toe-tapping feeling and maybe a "rightness" that is missing without it. It's really difficult to describe. Perhaps the greatest thing that the Speed Box SE II has done though is that the humming noise that I get when my GRADO cartridge gets closer to the center of the record is GONE. I don't know how but that annoying humming that Grado carts make as they get closer to the magnetic field generated by the Rega motor is now GONE!!!!!!!!!! If you love your Grado (mine is actually a Cartridgeman MusicMaker III which is similar to a Grado) then this might be just the reason for shelling out this kind of money.

For me, the combination of sonic "rightness", ease of changing record speed and dialling in an exact 33.3333333 as measured by strobe, and the absence of the Grado hum makes the SpeedBox SE II a worthwhile investment but I would have been much happier with a sub-$300 price. As a result my Value rating is low.

Purchased At:   Fred's Sound of Musi

Submitted by jrhymeammo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
It's a must have for Pro-Ject/MusicHall owners. If you have a strobe disc see it for yourself.

BTW, I just leave it on 24/7.

Purchased At:   Acoustic Sounds