Nottingham Nottingham 294 'table and arm TurnTables

Nottingham 294 turntable and arm

Submitted by j2d2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've been slowly acquiring a system that suits me for 50+ years as money allowed. After a while your ears get educated and less and less is satisfactory. I started with a Pioneer 'table and arm before I knew what was what. Then as I learned I got a Well Tempered (about 17 years ago) which served me well after some mods. Used with a Sumiko Blue Point Special, Electrocompaniet pre amp. When I got to 68 years I started to look for that quality that I'm going to insist be buried with me. I'm nearly there. One thing I'll take with me is the Nottingham 294 table and arm. Used with a Nova Phenomena phono preamp at 60 db gain and 475 ohm loading. Very highly recommended. Dynavector 17 D cart. Absolutely wonderful. Conrad-Johnson CT 5 preamp(dont even think about getting anything more $). The Nottingham is as good as anyone could want. Weak motor thus current fluctuations dont bother its sound. Musically utterly coherent with a "continuousness" that is instantly noticeable. Bulletproof in a way that suspended table can only dream of. The music it makes has a completeness that is remarkable and enveloping. Care with the cartridge alignment of course pays big dividends. I got a protractor made for the 294 12" arm($25.00) and am grateful that azimuth is automatic. The audio spectrum is reproduced with neutrality and, for want of a better word, musicality, that is remarkable compared to the many other tables I auditioned. Almost no upkeep and should last forever. A MUSICAL bargain.

Atlantic Technology :