Nottingham Horizon TurnTables

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Turntable with Rega RB300 arm. Product discontinued

Submitted by Rocknsouza1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit (a non SE version) for over 4 years and have not experienced a vibration issue with the tonearm, contrary to a previous post that said all of the tonearms have one. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I have a Rega RB 250 tonearm and the mounting is slightly different. I recommend this table very highly, especially with the Dynavector 10 and 20 series cartridges.

Submitted by abcxyz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Horizon SE for the price but was sent the Horizon non-SE instead but the turntable is so good I did not care at all that it was SE or not. (The dealer actually refunded me the difference in price later. )
The set-up instructions are clear to the initiated but perhaps not that understandable to a newbie turntable person. Anyhow, after some trial and error, one discovers how it all goes together. the turntable comes with a protractor, oil, allen wrenches, to set-up the table. No additional tools are needed.
My turntable came with the RB250 stock tonearm and the original price included a Nottingham cartridge which was fairly easy to install. Only a screwdriver is needed to tighten the screws.
This is only my second kind of turntable after a couple of Rega turntables. After the first few seconds of hearing it, I was amazed at the warmth, clarity, and overall sound. It was hard to stop listening and go to dinner when the time came!
The turntable hummed for a few seconds when first spun the platter and eventually even the tonearm vibrated too but when I stopped it and then gave it a more brisk manual spin and it never vibrated like that ever again.
I noticed that a few records that my previous Rega did not play without skipping played perfectly on the Nottingham. Conversely, some that I had no problem had some skips however those apparent warps on the lp's went away when I placed the turntable on the most level shelf of where the turntable now is. The Horizon (or any decent turntable) is very sensitive to how level the surface is and needs to placed properly.
It has VTA which brings the cartridge out closer to the record and allows for a precise measurement with the protractor.
The turntable sounded better with the black plinth under it on some surfaces but on others, it sounds better without it.
The most important adjustment I made is this. I placed small rubber feet that I had once used under an Arcam CD player and placed them on the feet of the 3 supports of the Horizon and WOW! The turntable sounds still more clear and deeper! Isolation of its feet is key and vibration of any kind is its biggest enemy! Vbration has come from the shelf i once place it on or an improper start of the turntable or having not placed the belt in the best ridge of the platter. (the belt has 3 settings for it.) Now that I know all this, I have no problems whatsoever with the turntable and can set it up in 10 minutes including measuring the VTA!
I could hear the skips and pops on my previous Rega P3 and the pops from the switch that I need to turn on or off everytime I stop the turntable. For my first turntable, that was not a problem but with the Horizon, I stop it and spin it rapidy and it is dead silent. When my records are finished, it is dead quiet not needing to be given your immediate attention. It definitely feels and looks like a very expensive piece. Being so quiet, it just does not draw any attention to itself and just plays the music.
Its characteristic sound is tipped from neutral to warm and I play a lot of Rock music so did the following to give it more spank. I got the Dynavector 10x5 cartridge first, then swtched to a brighter interconnect from my Pro-ject Tubebox II phono preamp to my tube amp and switched to 2 Groovetube 5751 Mullard tubes in the phono preamp and now I am hearing sounds in every recording that I did not know were there. Perhaps the sound that can rival a $4000 plus CD player. It is really sounds that good to my ears!

Purchased At:   Audio Elation

Submitted by analogue a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased the non SE version of the Nottingham Horizon turntable which was favorably reviewed by Fremer in Stereophile. Mine came with a RB300 tonearm. Within one hour of setting it up and playing music, I noticed a vibration on the arm which I could feel from the headshell to the base of the arm. No amount of tightening or loosening of the mounting screws helped, neither did adding more oil.
I called a major retailer who sells Nottingham turntables and the dealer informed me that this is a problem common to ALL non-special edition Horizons. He said it was "a terrible design, this is why I didn't sell any of them." This problem was fixed in the SE version where the motor is free standing and does not send vibrations to the plinth and consequently to the arm.

This is the second Nottingham product I have owned - the other was a Spacedeck. I have completely lost faith in the company. The whole point of TT design is to eliminate vibration. Even cheap flea market 80's record players do not have vibrating tonearms. The fact that this company would allow this design flaw to enter production is all the reason I need to NEVER, EVER buy or recommend ANY of their products, including their ridiculously priced bearing oil, appropriately named, Snakeoil.

Purchased At:   audiogon

new stuff on the horizon - Muse

from PE: [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7918410.stm"][COLOR=#0000ff]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7918410.stm[/COLOR][/URL] [I][FONT=Verdana]The band have their own recording studios at Lake Como in Italy [/FONT][/I][FONT=Verdana] [I]Muse's new studio album could ... Read More »

Boston Horizon MCS 90 Speakers 5.1

Boston Horizon MCS 90 Speakers 5.1 I need some help! I bought the Horizon MCS 90 5.1 surround speaker system i cant find anything on the MCS 90's I see the MCS 100 and 130's is the MCS 90's a discontinued line? Are the a quality speaker? thanks gRead More »

Looking forward to any new music on the horizon?

I just heard a few samples of the upcoming Umphrey's McGee album, Mantis, and the first track I heard sounded good (and in a regular way, not a proggy way).Read More »

Default Boston Acoustics Horizon Series 5.1 Speaker System - $199.99

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W9DO7U/ref=xs_gb_ASPY8ID7PKMFT?pf_rd_p=463812811&pf_rd_s=right-0&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=100&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QG1JZJ0X59MWC135XYM&tag=blurayforum-20"]Amazon.com[/URL] has the Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS100MDNT 5.1-Channel Speaker Sys ... Read More »

Star Wars: No Blu-ray, HD DVD on the Horizon.

Responding to persistent rumors of a pending release of the 'Star Wars' films on high-def disc, Lucasfilm has issued a statement denying any such plans for the series in the foreseeable future. Amazon had a "placeholder" pages for highly anticipated titles such a as Star Wars, enabling customers ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology: