Music Hall MMF-7 TurnTables

4.68/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

• Audiophile turntable with advanced isolation features
  • Split plinth design with "floating" top chassis assembly
  • Motor assembly located on separate chassis
  • Project Nine tonearm
  • Removable RCA Interconnects
  • Goldring Eroica high output moving coil cartridge
  • Heavy acrylic, low resonance platter
  • Dust cover
  • Felt turntable mat
  • Adjustable cone-point feet
  • Built-in bubble level

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tim Ameche a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I do like the MMF-7.1 I have had it for about 3 weeks now. I am not new to the audio field. In fact I have been involved in the industry one way or another for a majority of my life. The MMF-7.1 is a really solid well built unit. It does take a little time to put it together out of the box. If you take your time and read the instructions carefully you will be well rewarded. If you have any question I would tell you to call your dealer as he might give you some help. I purchased my unit from Needle Doctor and they were a great help with any questions I had.

One thing I can tell you right off is that you should make sure that you put this unit on a very solid wood table or a cabinet. Make sure it is well balanced as this all goes to helping you achieve the best sound from the unit. Also you might invest in a pair of really good interconnecting cables. Of course what you hook this unit up to will also make big difference. You might want think about a getting a good Moving coil cartridge it will also bring out the best sound.

Now as to what it sounds like. “Smooth” & “Clean “is the best over all words I would use. It has a great bottom end that is tight but well pounced. Fleetwood Mac was well balance with a nice fat bottom end. The midrange is well defined but again smooth not harsh in any way. Jethro Tull ‘s “The Broad Sword” The voice was very clean & smooth. The High end is clean and very detailed. You’ll find that you will hear things that you never heard before. Depth is wonderful and the sound stage is wide. Of course this all depends on the cartridge that you’ll use.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by nandito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I have been using this table for more than a year and here my impressions:

I allways liked the sound of vynil records, even whit its shortcomings, but as most people, ended listening mostly to CDs, which I thing sounds ok only if you dont pay atention to the sound. . Here in Venezuela, CDs made records and turntables dissapear in few years, but still I used to listen to my records from time to time in a very unexpensive technics table.One day I managed to get a stanton DJ cartridge( a moving iron deign) and installed it into that table and me and my family were amazed by the sound we were listening to. So, i started to research the internet about tables and that is how I knew about this one. I got it from Hollywood sound a year or so ago and so far i am very satisfied with it.
    I have to tell you that I have an accident with the goldring heroica cartridge the unit came with (i damaged it completely ) two weeks after the table arrived, so Larry Weinstein, my retailer, adviced me to get the dynavector DV 20 H moving coil cartridge. So I did, and from the very begining the sound was clearer and more detailed than with the goldring.
    However, I was feeling the sound a bit bright, maybe the soundstage a bit narrow, but I asumed it has something to do with brake in. Time passed and things improved just a bit, so i started to do a more fine tuning of cartridge aligment , VTA etc
    Let me tell you, the Dynavector is sensitive to these adjustments. I agree whit another reviewer about VTA been a bit shallow from the factory. I raised it and the sound improved a lot. And more recently I adjusted the Azimuth and then i got great sound, pleasing, deep, a lot of body,wider soundstage etc etc.
    Bottom line, take time for cartridge aligment mostly for those replacing the goldring (which i would recommend). It could make a huge difference.Another thing: for those that like a warmer sound, I recomend try whit a good quality moving magnet This is because to my ears, this table is very detailed sounding but could sound a bit warmer.
    About weakneses, well, maybe the blue ligth on the motor can be anoying when you are an top of the table,and i havent find out yet how to adjust arm lift.( maybe my fault)Otherwise the table is very well finished, beautiful and well isolated.
    Finally, i strongly recomend Larry weinstein in Hollywood Sound ,Hollywood,Florida.

Purchased At:   hollywood sound

Submitted by Jeff Harper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
    I bought this turn table in 2002 it just gets better and better,with a ringmat and a 60 pound granite slab added for a 3rd plinth all I can say is fantastic!! I'm useing white zombie all silver ballanced interconects with a bellari tube preamp with a tubeweight over a tung sol 12Ax7 .I have always felt this table was under priced .It's like buying the cartrage at full retail and getting the table for cost.

Purchased At:   Deet's sound room

Submitted by jjcllc03 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
    This is the steal of the decade, even though it doesn't have the cachet of snooty so-called "audiophile" turntable labels. If your interest is more into listening to music rather than enjoying the tweaking and the array of options available for changing tonearms and such on more expensive turntables, then you'll probably like this turntable. As one of the reviewers below has said, buy this turntable and try the following low cost tweaks and you will discover why this it garners such rave reviews. Place the MMF-7 atop a 5/8" MDF board (24"x16") with rubber feet to isolate the turntable from room vibrations, then replace the felt mat with a Ringmat Anniversary mat. This will remove platter vibrations, improve the bass response, open the soundstage and give you a low-cost world class turntable. Where I differ from the other reviewer, though, is to change the cartridge from the so-so Goldring Eroica to the incredible Bluenote Boboli MkII cartridge. This Italian, high-output MC cartridge on a Graham Slee Communicator phono stage is simply outstanding! Dead silent background, full, engaging bass, accurate reproduction across the tonal spectrum, this combination, along with the use of Disk Doctor's Quick Wash and Audio Advisor's Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine clone, the Record Doctor, is a winner, especially with female vocals and acoustic guitars.

My system:

Krell Showcase pre/pro
    Graham Slee Communicator phono stage
    MMF-7 w/ Boboli Cartridge and Ringmat (Anniversary)
    Outlaw 7500 amplifier
    B&W AS-600 Subwoofer

Purchased At:   NeedleDoctor

Submitted by leonard lYNE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
    So far so GOOD.

It didn't take long to recognize a real fine poduct. I left the vynal realm for space reason. I sold my Linn LP12. A mistake. OR was it. I still had lots of records, but couldn't play them. ......until now. and Wow. It is better the Linn LP12 with the best Alphason S tonearm with the HCL wires and foam damping. I know it is hard to believe. Yet, there is a quieter presentation and a much better retieval of detail. The pickup is diferent than my former Audio Technica ML-170, which was a MM. True, MC may be more detailed. Nonetheless, this is a very angaging component.

Two Argo recordings of Kings College Choir yeilded enormous soundstage with nice layering of soloists appearing to be in the foreground. Leontine Priice singing with Andre Previn provided sufficient intimacy between orchestra and piano without distortion on high notes.

Nice Turntable at a nice price.

Purchased At:   Spearit Sound Boston