Michell Gyrodec Turntable TurnTables

4.81/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

Not available

Submitted by Yasvanth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
Before I purchase the Michell Gyrodec I owned a budget Dual 503-2 which was my first ever record deck and i was quite content with it. But after a few years of listening to it, it just didn't sound exciting as I would have liked.
My dealer advised me to try the legendary Michell Gyrodec with Rega RB300 Tonearm and Goldring GX1012 cartridge. Well what can I say as soon as that needle gently dropped on to the record I was sold. The sound that i can only explain as fast, detailed, smooth with a big open soundstage. It was far far superior to my Arcam CD72T I just could not believe that records could sound that good.
Not only was it the sound that amazed me, it was also the build and engineering of the record deck. It was solid and not made out of your usual MDF rubbish. It was made out of beautiful perspex, metal, vinyl and those brass hyptnotic weights that when the turtable begins to revolve it is just fantastic to stare at.
I have now owned my Michell Gyrodec for 8 years now, and it still hasn't given me any problems. That proves how reliable the Gyrodec is compared to the Linn Condek, sorry that's Sondek that needs annual servicing to keep it sounding at its best. So far the only thing I did was replace the rubber belt which was beginning to perish, that stylus and I also purchased a Michell QC Power Supply on Ebay which tightened up the bass no end and also made it the sound much faster and excitng. Sorry I almost forgot, also the speed changing is now at the flick of a switch instead of swapping the belt over to the smaller pulley of the motor.

Purchased At:   Musical Images

Submitted by ellisr63 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is my second Gyrodec. My first was one of the original gyros, but the motor died after about 10 years and I had purchased it second hand. My new Gyrodec SE sounds much better than my old one (maybe it is the Sumiko 4.Vi arm?), I really can't nail down where the diffences came from as I changed the arm and table at the same time. Have yet to hear a turntable that I like more (not to say that there are no better ones but this is my personal best).

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Chas Underhay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have one of the very early Gyrodecs, aluminium platter and flat feet. My wife and I bought it many years ago for both its sound and build quality. Recently we considered having it updated and upgraded but the general advice we had from dealers was to trade it in and buy a new one.

I contacted J A Michell Engineering Ltd and found them very helpful and subsequently took the turntable there and discussed what was available. We opted for a new stand alone DC motor with HR power supply, new bearing with Orbe spindle, new springs, exchange base board, Orbe clamp and Orbe type chassis damping. My wife preferred the look of the aluminium platter to the current one so this was retained with Michell's full approval. The work was completed in a week and the cost was considerably less than a trade in and replacement.

Well done J A Michell Engineering Ltd!

Purchased At:   Shop a long time ago

Submitted by foolishbic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wonderful sound. I am reasonably immune to surface noise if the music grabs me - and with the Gyrodec it usually does.

My Audiophile friends sometimes used to get together with various pieces of equipment for "evaluation". We always ended up with "Bop City" by Ben Sidran on the Gyrodeck for the ultimate source. There is a HUGE 'CRACK' at the beginning of the track on my copy - then you forget you are in Analogue land and just enjoy the music. VERY very good.

Purchased At:   Second Hand at my lo

Submitted by Stevy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this deck to replace an old Dual cs505,as i have inherited a lot of classical lp's,and they were just gathering dust and not being played.
Build quality is top notch,and design looks simple,but is ingenious and well executed.Mine has the Rega RB300 arm,with an Ortofon MC25fl cartridge.Deck is powered by Michell VC power supply.
After being used to superb sound from my Meridian 588 cd (see Review)it reminded me how highly strung the vinyl format can be,what with surface noise,warped records,and a congestion in sound towards the end of many records,however,on mint or good condition pressings of well recorded music,when all the elements fall in place,the sound is entrancing via the Gyro deck.
Music flows convincingly across a wide soundstage,imaging,slam,dynamics,etc are all there.I have a couple of mint lp's,Dire Straits,On every street,and Mike OLdfield's,Tubular Bells2,which i also have on cd,and replay is very similar to that of the Meridian588,which i consider very neutral,bass is good,snare drums snap thrillingly,on a good recording,there seems to be just that bit more air than cd can muster.All in all gyrodeck is recommended.

System:
Michell gyrodeck with VC power supply
Rega RB300 arm and Ortofon MC25fl cartridge
Trichord Dino phono amp
Trichord Dino+ power supply
Chord CPA2200 pre amp
Chord SPM600 power amp
Chord co odyssey speaker cables
B&W Nautilus 803 speakers

All except power amp,powered from PS audio P300 powerplant.

Purchased At:   Doug Brady hifi