Lirpa Labs Lirpa Turbo Steamtable TurnTables

4.65/5 (54 Reviews)

Steam-powered turntable with fire-tube boiler

Submitted by Land Shark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
I must confess, I was rather upset to find there have been no reviews of this Greatest Combination Audio Component And Deathtrap Of All Time since 2008. Upset but not surprised, though. Most have probably died during the all too frequent mass explosions that happen occasionally (occasionally, as in all the time) The Lirpa Turbo Steam Turntable may be the greatest self powered turntable evah but it is also a lethal death machine that will kill you and everyone in the neighborhood, if proper precautions aren't taken. As an early adopter who's managed to survive all these years and enjoy the Turbo Steam Table (or TST, as the dwindling number of owners affectionally call it) superior vinyl sound, I can speak on how to not just survive but enjoy your TST:

!- Place the TST in a different town, or better yet, county.

2- Get the Nuclear Breeder Reactor Powered Cooling Dustcover. Not only prevents the TST from melting your vinyl into a pool of goo, the unit is constructed of the same clear aluminum used on Star Trek starships which helps contain any boiler or reactor explosions. It also helps limit radiation exposure from the dirty breeder reactor. One good reason to place the TST in the next county, or better yet, state

3- Do not get the Solar Wind Powered Farm Supplemental Energy Option. The computer that controls the solar panels goes nuts every now and then and turn it into a Solar Powered Heat Death Ray and try to fry any nearby cities. Plus the wind turbines start spinning at thousands of revolutions per second and fly off trying to slice and dice any towns that manage to escape the heat death ray's fury. I told 'ya it goes nuts. You think I'd make that up? That's why you need to place it in another state, or better yet, country.

4- Don't go cheap on your hazmat suit. After all, you do have to calibrate the Guillotine Tone Arm And Ultra High Voltage Cartridge every other hour. Better yet, hire a couple of schmucks to go do the calibration, Don't go near the TST, make sure it's another country, or better yet, continent.

5- Do purchase the Siren Warning Option as the massive siren which can be heard for thousands of miles around may help save lives n the event of boiler steam explosions or a complete reactor meltdown of the cooling unit's reactor. Yet another reason to make sure your TST is in another continent, or better yet, planet.

6- Consider the optional Orbit Around A distant Planet Like Neptune, Or Better Yet, Pluto installation option. That will insure the TST is on another planet, or better yet, solar system.

7- What ever you do, don't, for the love of Pete try to play any KISS records. The TST hates KISS. It gets very, very angry and tries to destroy the solar system. Hopefully you placed your TST in another solar system, or better yet, galaxy,

Follow these rules and you're guaranteed to improve your odds of surviving the TST to 1 in 5,000,000. Courage.

Submitted by g8wayhome a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Through some kinetic-surreal spiraled cosmos life, I was blessed with a pre-war Lirpa.

Starts here in early childhood. I just thought it was the main stove / heater / letter opener but we always had some lifeline tie to it as it was not just any stove. Seems this thing could do it all. Mom and Dad never fought over it as it proved multi-tasking to the greatest of marital blessings.
Mom could be curing bacon and raisin' the donut batter while Dad had other duties for this blessings of blessings.
He had the moderately priced optional "Lirpa romanian work for hire package" always working in the deeper boiler areas (when they weren't shoveling the coal into the main boiler) blowing glass and machining the grids and plates necessary while keeping the toxic fumes of the vacuum gas isolated in the Lirpa Isolation Depot (LID) for the 12AXT / ECC83s he made and sold whilst on vacation in England. Called the things Musically Unmatched Lower Lirpa Audio Radio Dimension Servers. We just called 'em MULLARDS for short. Did rather well in the late 60s with clients such as crazy looking electric guitarist being the main customers. He did give nice pairs of power tubes to friends over cigars and old scotch.

I had other ideas. I noticed the "included in the sales" pitch of a Lirpa 103 platter and highly marbled plinth and rockin tone arm /cartridge.
Let me set this straight here: I always wondered when my new friends came over, why they immediately would drop their jaws and then glance my way with that "schmirck." Yes, that "schmirck!" Any child who grew up with a true Lirpa would testament to this "schmirck" I had to live with.
UNTIL.........I showed them the beautiful audio system the package included. There we were with our brand new HEMISPHERES lps and, I really have to say,
this was the coolest thing in my life, ................ I HAD THE LIRPA 103!
Brand new....all to myself and friends! I even relocated it to my room where it ran off the Vacuumed Electric Neuron Transformer system (VENT) Dad would always say to himself he just had to have. For maybe later!

Dad always said this thing could do anything given a few good days of rest and the ol "default" 36 hour Steam Torque Amalgamated Re-Turn Upload Pragmatics (STARTUP.) Those and a little "smarts and noodles" as he would say. Always made those Monday and Tuesday sub below schoold mornings rather hateful as the Lirpa had to rest.

So here I still have the Lirpa 103 set in my listening room. Dina has the stove of her dreams and I have the 103! Life is good boy!
The records that have been played on this friend of mine.....oh my! More great ones than one can list.............
Thinking of the cost involved to acquire a lovely one? Don't worry about the kids college needs. Just take the pen and sign it away.......
New product offers all types of very usable household jobs as well.

Submitted by wet weasel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I now admit that I am uncertain if I did indeed get a genuine Lirpa. Let's simply say: I was once quite wealthy and in shining health.
No more. Alas!
Chassis one is pretty straightforward: the Outboard Power Supply. I was a bit creeped out by the deep inscription in the fuel-fill archway: "Analog macht Frei." Took WEEKS and two tankcars of caustic soda to clean the firepit until the burners gleamed. The effort cost me the friendship of the team of mechanics who had worked for me for nearly two decades restoring main battle tanks. That's how traumatic it was.
Chassis two took some figuring out. While ostensibly a steam turbine, we soon found that truly great soundstaging required the use of 90% hydrogen peroxide. I had grown used to the high operating cost of a commitment to great audio by maintaining the Krasniy Oktyabr monobloc amps (see review elsewhere) fabricated from the back half of that Typhoon sub that doesn't exist. (Saves on taxes, but I miss my hair.) After two spectacular platter-speed excursions, and that famous bit of double-talk to a suspicious Katie Couric, the team added some new-tech luxury and safety features, like a lid for the peroxide tank (a word to the wise - Do not use gadolinium, pure or in alloy.) And an electro-hydraulic replacement for the permanganate injector clockwork. Once we had ironed out those wrinkles .... it was time to spin some wax!!
But the lawyers are still wrangling over damages for turning half of Dilhoal County's registered voters permanently and legally blond.
That brings us to chassis three - the tone"arm" and cartridge. The arm needed some restoring. Remarkably, the spare parts from two T-34s we'd picked up at a garage sale in Krakow came in real handy.
The cartridge appears to be a high-mass, no-compliance assembly built around the moving-singularity principle. The stylus looked relatively unworn, but it still bebefited from a few weeks' touch-up with a rail-mounted plasma torch. In the process we uncovered the manufacturer's marks.
Reichsforschungsamt
(Strafabteilung) Jan Mayen
s.u. Geheimindustrie der (SS logo)
VORSICHT Neutronengefahr

Well. That explained the box lunches we found - mummified without one hint of rot. The upside was that my extensive vinyl collection would remain well-preserved. It also made clear that the massive ribbed porcelain supports for the tonearm cable weren't for show only.
We had a time of it finding the right cartridge coolant. Necessity therefor was suggested by the vacuum-insulated reservoir cryptically marked "Kuehlfluessigkeit hier anfuellen".
We re-tubed the phono stage, adapting non-OE parts a buddy at CERN found us under a half-completed W-nought detector at the mothballed Supercollider site. Unfortunately, our audio nemesis in Brunei had bought the last few Musicaps rated for 1.2 MV (yes megavolts, to match the cartridge's output rating).
No need to go on. You've seen the "History's Mysteries" episode. Please come visit the crater. The admittance fees are keeping us in chemotherapy.

Purchased At:   that deranged old Pa

Submitted by earl feckinbridge a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
probably the finest solid state steam rotary all wheel drive dust cover ever to come out boomphuk papua new guinea . a testament to the cane furniture mines quest for world domination

Price Paid:    $20000.00

Purchased At:   target

Submitted by ccryder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Whatever you do, avoid this terror trap. It is a portal for the 32nd dimension, worms crawl out of it, and make the babies cry. Ah, god, they're coming again - not the noodles, not the noodles.

Purchased At:   goodwill