LINN Axis Turntable TurnTables

4.5/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by Jose Ricardo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have a Linn Axis with Ittok LV II arm, ortofon MC capsule.
Had a Rega P3-24, but I forgot it after putting the Linn in my main set.
There was like leaving the watering side and not even be an LP12, Linn did not say that this makes me "dreaming" with an LP12. I have no springs or adjustments to worry about. As the level of the plinth and the platter is excencial and of course the perfect adjustment of the Ittok.
I am delighted and current sound made me review all my LPs with enthusiasm and admiration for the analog sound that it performs flawlessly Linn.

Submitted by John Stefani a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought in '87 for $900 CDN, included Basik+ tonearm and the Linn "Basik" cartridge (a throw-away, but great performer while cart lasted). Upgraded to Linn K-9 later with great results. This table works as good as the day I bought it over 15 years ago! Although they are no longer made, those looking for a good bet on the used market should watch for a well priced Axis.

Purchased At:   Better Audio

Submitted by Graeme Budd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was my 18th birthday present and all my friends thought i was mad getting a turntable. Now 9 years down the line and one complete Linn overhaul later it's working better than ever. I would seriously recommend the Axis to a vinyl lover and anyone starting out (second hand prices are really cheap for such a product) Mine did go wrong after 4 years but Linn replaced all the internals foc and it came back better than ever. The guy who changed my last cartridge ( a Reson Reca incidently - buy one for your Axis NOW) is the designer from Living Voice and he reckoned it sounded better than most LP12s he'd heard. No it isn't for sale.
The only downsides are the less than brilliant suspension and the fact that you can hear the power supply (a conditioner and new mains cable will help but experiment before buying as they can also take away the deck's dynamics) if you own a really serious system.
Soundwise it aligns with Linn Virtues - great timing and musicality. Top end and Imaging are also good. Bass - difficult to tell -my system doesn't go that low but it certainly does the business on electronic music

Purchased At:   Radford hi fi ,Winds

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
This turntable has brought me lots of pleasure since I bought it in the late 80's. Although it's no longer in production, it can be found second-hand. This is a very reliable, good sounding turntable. I've brought mine on a tour over the last 13 years - from England to Norway,U.S.A, Mozambique, and then back here in the U.SA. I recently replaced the motor, and had a general service... that's the least I could do to an old friend. I've used an Audio Technica AT-OC9 from the start - great combination!
My Linn Axis has outlived an Incha-Teach and a Reaga amplifer, and has performed well with a range of speakers.
My current set-up is: Quad 77 pre& (much under-rated), Quad 77 CD, and Proac 2000 Signature with Rel Strata II sub-woofer. It's a great combination for the wide range of music I like to play. The turntable shines after the recent service, so I choose LPs over CDs when I can find them!

Purchased At:   Adio-T, London, UK

Submitted by lino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Whilst scanning www.loot.com I found an Ad for a 2nd hand Linn Axis, i'd never heard of it before and thought i'd go for a listen. It sounded very good, even though it had a cheap Audio Technica Cart in it, I bought it.

I upgraded the Cart to a Goldring Eroica (high output Moving Coil) and the sound has been pleasing me for three years now.

It plays 33/45 brilliantly and has improved listening to my pretty large collection of vinyl. One day i'll grow up and get an LP12 but for now i'm very, very happy with the Axis.

Don't forget Linn will stock parts for the turntable for ever and ever. Also they will do servicing jobs too, so if you see one going for a song, buy it, if it needs a little help take it to a Linn Dealer they will sort it out.

Purchased At:   www.loot.com