LINN Sondek lp12

Submitted by Nathan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have owned my LP 12 for 15 years now and am quite satisfied. It's been through some changes in tonearm (RB300, then an RB600 and then an Ekos), cartridges (K9, Rega Exact, Troika and an Arkiv B) and power supplies (Basik then a Lingo). Current spec is LP12/crikus/trampolin/ekos/arkiv B/lIngo and I am quite pleased. The single biggest upgrade was the Lingo, followed closely by going from a Troika to an Arkiv B (yet the Troika is not without its charms). This probably isn't the best TT in the world, but it sounds spacious, dynamic and sweet. Bass is solid and the treble is sparkly but grain free and not bright. The mids sing. So, over all, I am quite satisfied, and while I would like to fool around with other TTs (A VPI Classic 3 seems interesting) I am keeping this table until either it or I dies.

Submitted by HP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
It is hardly a secret that the earliest versions of this ’table were
far from my expectations or affections. The initial quality of
construction was poor, and, oh boy, was the LP12 ever susceptible
to feedback. Nor did it exactly run on speed.
But: It did have belt drive and, thanks to the religious fervor
of its backers, taught all of us to listen to the “sound” of a
turntable, which, believe me, in that sense, hardly anyone did
before the Linn. And that was its decisive contribution to the art
of turntable design. Because the Linn did not reach down into
the bottom octave or far into the midbass, its midrange and highs
achieved a transparency, which accounted for its “sound,” thus
accounting for the beginning of its legend.
Needless to say, in its evolution, both via the company and
the DIYers, it got better. But I never, as they say Down South cotton to it

Submitted by du marcom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I own a linn lp12, which has been upgraded as funds have allowed. The deck spec is now as follows. A cirused lp12 with an armogeddon power supply, naim prefix powered by a hi-cap, naim aro tone arm and a dynavector 17D2 moving coil cartridge. This is amplified by a naim hi-cap 72/ 140 naturally. I can honestly say that this set up gives a true taste of high end performance. The bass is deep and clean, not at all confused, as often stated, mid- range is articulate, and the treble really sings, this I think is due to the signal being amplified closer to the cartridge. As for the sound stage, well it feels like you could touch every instrument. I also own a naim cd3.5 powered by a flat- cap as a second source but i ultimately feel that this is a poor comparison, even though this is a 1000 pounds worth of player. Although this is possibly the best lp12 combination available, if you buy second hand and have the deck upgraded by an lp12 magician, sit back and have your mind blown away. Just a little note of caution. Buy yourself a decent record cleaning machine, a carbon fibre brush on it's own simply won't do and steer clear of digitally remastered albums of the mid-ninetys and you will be in audiophile heaven! Try a copy of Prefab Sprout, Steve McQueen in both formats to see what I mean. If your music leaves you with goose bumps, you now you have arrived in musical heaven

Submitted by servicef a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent turntable. I use an SME tonearm with it and every musical nuance comes through. The turntable has been working without fault for over 20 years. No rumble and speed control (pitch) is right on. It has never been in a repair shop. Once set up I have left it alone. This is the turntable that I recommend of all others that I have owned or heard over the last decades.

Turntables that I have owned in the past. Dual, Thorens, Rega, Ariston, Pink Triangle, Stromberg Carlson, Weathers, Garrard, and many more. Also I recomment the VPI record cleaner, the one that has the means to go forward and reverse. That's the one I own, and it cleans records very well.

Submitted by RockFan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
The turntable I should never have bought! Was auditioned against a Roksan Xerxes back in 89. The dealer managed to make both decks sound bad, blaming my kit I'd brought along! The UK hype was so strong back then that I couldn't trust my ears and walk away, and selected the Linn with ITTOK arm. It must be good every one said so!

The deck was delivered and still didn't sound good. I kept the deck as my primary source for 16years but was careful not to listen to too much else, as its speed/pitch shortcomings were ruthlessly revealed by CD players, although I personally don't like CD. I actually got the deck to sound pretty good a few years later by rigging up an Armageddon type supply and on some music like dance music where the coloration didn't matter it could sound stunning. On other older recording things fell apart where the mechanical integrity of the deck was tested, some of this may have been the edgy sounding ITTOK.

Years passed I decided it was time to pull my head out of the sand and try other decks. I bought a Townshend Rock from ebay and immediately here was something that strove toward accuracy and low coloration and was pretty enjoyable to listen to as well. The LP12 sounded rather hollow in comparison, you can really hear the springs in a neutral set up.

As someone said here, if you like the Linn don't listen to anything else in comparison, otherwise you will be sorely dissapointed. Decks like the Townshend Rock Reference absolutely kill the Linn having a combination of the Linns timing but with true bass extension, real world dynamics and neutrality.