Harman Kardon RABCO ST-7 TurnTables

3.88/5 (17 Reviews)

BELT DRIVE LINEAR TRACKING

Submitted by Ricardo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
I recently picked up this deck at a very reasonable price on ebay. Everything that people say about the fiddly set up is true- this is a challenging deck to get right, but probably not too much effort for suspension deck owners used to fiddling with their turntables. nevertheless, even when the deck is going right, fix the roller and calibrate the tracking in around 1 hour.sound amazing .

Submitted by Greg Voth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought the Harmon Kardon Rabco ST-7 when it was new back in 1978-79. Paid list price at the time. Loved the concept of tangial tracking. Never worked right. It truly was a spawn from hell. I knew more about it than the repair shops, having my hands in it as often as I did. I ended up recording my LP's to a Revox A77 Half Track and playing tapes, which is why my LP's are in such great shape 35 years later... so thank you for that ST-7.

I can't remember what I did with it. I do still have the hinges, but I think I dropped it out of a window to the sidewalk below. What a complete disappointment the ST-7 was. I have since moved on to a Well Tempered Turntable with a few mods. This baby has never let me down and I can finally enjoy my LP's first hand.

Submitted by Sanford a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
To put things in perspective, I have owned an HK ST-6 which I hated due to the end of record pick up mechanism, never worked correctly. The ST-7 and ST-8 are optically triggered which is MUCH better. In my table the roller wheel has not turned to goo yet. I believe the rubber wheel turns to goo due to prolonged use due to the weight of the assembly it must move. I think my unit hasn't been used much before I bought it. I have a ST-5 solid aluminum roller that is waiting to be used if need be. I've seen it said that the chassis rings, etc. I have never heard any noises coming out of the chassis so I think that can be attributed to the snob class of audiophiles. I also have an ST-4 which is a dinosaur by comparison to just about anything else but fun to play with nonetheless. I had to replace the motor (600rpm) which squeaked. I found an original motor but it was too gutless to move the platter let alone the roller. I had an HK ST-5 motor (300rpm) so after some experimentation got it to work good. ST-5 motor with pulley on the 45 rpm speed with 2 O-rings is the correct speed. I still need to fix the pick up circuit, I'm hoping it is the relay. Any info would be helpful, service manual, etc. Interesting reading on Rabco, look up Jacob Rabinow, Mr. Rabco. He was quite the inventor, first hard drive, letter sorting machines and it goes on and on. There's a video on you tube.

Submitted by Phuzzy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
Aaahhh - an infamous reviewer, spawn from the fuzz that grows on ignorance.

But first.. I am obliged to do a brief review.

I LOVE this table, and I have been up to my elbows in it a few times, having the tracking all apart, so I know what it's about.
If you get your hands on one, fix it up! If you don't know how, ship it to me!! I'd love a spare. ;-)
The sound is beyond reproach, and inner grooves will never sound anywhere as good on a pivot tracking arm. Finicky to set up, yes, everyone agrees, but once you get a few rules down, you're having the time of your life.

Our reviewer 'lesCrooge' says that there is no way that you can get zero tracking angle. Well, you obviously know that the arm is connected to a roller, on a cylinder which turns, and the angle of the roller is the angle of the arm, right? All you said depends on that! But you're WRONGO!!! The tracking roller has it's own adjustment, so that when the arm is at 0 degrees, the roller is angled enough to move the arm at the average speed for an LP track. That exact angle is listed in the owners manual, something you would have probably looked at if you had any real experience with the machine and proper documentation at all. It's as close as you'll ever get to zero angle, and it's user adjustable. Easily. No tools needed.

The arm is dragging across a few grooves? On whose? Even at the lead out, when the arm goes off angle after the music runs out, and the groove takes off to the center faster then the tracking, there is NO dragging at pickup. Not on my, leveled, and properly adjusted machine.

And lastly, rumble. Well, the tracking roller is moving, oh, .25 HZ? .5 HZ? I don't know how your system is but I'd LOVE to see a speaker that could reproduce that 'sound'. You're an audiophile? Whatever. NO rumble here.

You had a unit that needed help, and you tossed it out a three story window. Then tried to beat down its reputation. Shame.

Submitted by lesCrooge a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I read with interest all the reviews on the h-k SL7 and the Rabco.
I have owned and used this unit on and off for 30 years.
It is all of the things described, except that it is not a piece of junk, from hell, or anywhere else.
Anyone taking a hammer to a piece of high-end hi-fi kit should start with the hammer on his head, first.
One must remember that the hi-fi appreciation society has no exclusion policy for moroons.

I appreciate all the technical help that I shall need when I reassemble the unit soon.
TVM