Goldring G-1042 TurnTables

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by peeweekiwi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
Having had a sonic disaster with a damaged Rega cartridge, I bought the 1042 at a good discount, while I wait for my DL 103R to arrive from Japan.
My system is certainly on the analytical side, and not particularly high end. The 1042 is not fully run in , but I concur with the other reviews here. It put a smile on my face.
Two things to note:
Surface noise will go down if you increase the playing weight. 1.75g is a little optimistic for a new cartridge.
I'm currently tracking at closer to 2g in a cold room.
Mistracking: The cartridge is certainly mistracking on Sting 'Moon over Bourbon St ', vocals in the first 20 sec of play. Album previously unplayed.
Also mistracks twice in 'Tinpan Alley Blues' ( Stevie Ray Vaughn. I will invetigate this as the cartridge hours and room temperature come up.
Other than that , it is not exhibiting anything other than polite and moderately exciting behaviour, even on a previously unplayed copy of
'OK, Computer'

Purchased At:   Eastern Hi Fi

Submitted by Jay West a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
There is a good review of this cartridge at www.tnt-audio.com. Switching to this cartridge from the stock Sumiko Oyster cartridge that came with my Pro-Ject 1.2 TT made a considerable difference, particularly in the high frequency range. I can hear female backup vocals and high frequency guitar distortion at painful levels now, and these high frequency sounds are now clealy audible whereas they previously were smeared out in the treble. I ordered this from mantraaudio in Britain and got it for less than half the price it retails for in the US. What a bargain!

The only complaint I have is it will skip on moderate to serious scratches which the Sumiko used to just plow right through, even at the same tracking weight. But this is only a problem with old records that were abused and have deep visible scratches.

Purchased At:   mantraaudio.com

Submitted by Peter Jensen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
At first very impressive, but after a while, in my opinion,
to clinical and thin.

Submitted by JK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having tried a few different cartridges on my Linn Axis/Akito turntable, this is one product I can happily recommend - the best cartridge I've heard. I upgraded from a 1012GX stylus and heard greater detail, smoothness, crispness and transparency. Yet the sound isn't at all clinical or fatiguing - it's full-bodied and very lively.
By contrast, the Linn K9 sounds rather 'grey', dull and noticeably less transparent. It also sounds slightly slower than the 1042 (and the 1012 as well).
The Ortofon 510 is bright and thin and lacks dynamics - too clinical and uninvolving.

I would only caution against the 1042 if you have a harsh sounding amplifier (the Linn K9 does sound smoother and might be better suited). Also it does reveal more surface noise than the K9. Otherwise, it's a great buy (especially in the UK) and I wouldn't hesitate from buying it again(cost me £76 GBP for the stylus)

Submitted by Alex Hemsath a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
You can read my review of the Project 6.9 TT for a full description of the sound of this cartridge on that table. Not having had the opportunity to audition many comparable cartridges in this price range (Grado Reference Platinum is what comes to mind first, followed by cheaper MC carts like the Audio Technica AT-OC9), my review might not mean much. But I've been using this cartidge for more than two years now with no complaints, really. I feel that if I had a better table, better arm, better phono stage, better amplifier, better speakers, better listening room...I might feel limited by this cartridge. Until then (or until I mess it up with too much Stylast or bust the cantilever while moving the arm manually), it's staying in my system. If you listen to rock and jazz, but also want a cartridge that can handle orchestral music, and don't have/can't afford a moving-coil phono stage, this is your best bet IMO. A great value.

(A note on my rating system - I give this cartridge a three overall because I believe that there are two levels of cartridge capability above this one - which you may or may not feel the need for. Sort of like Stereophile refusing to give class A ratings to products which are outstanding values for their price point but nonetheless are not the top end of products in that category. I did give it a five for value, which is the more telling rating in any case.)

Purchased At:   Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor