DUAL 1229Q TurnTables

4.88/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $260.00

Motor: 2 Pole Motor with radial elastic suspension Platter: Non-Magnetic, Dunamically Balanced Pitch Control: 6% Wow & Flutter: +/- 0.06%

Submitted by Tuch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
Dual TT Model 1229

I was asked by my girlfriend in 1997 if I would look at her ex-husbands turntable and see if I could repair it. I discovered that the white metal that was used on the idler wheel linkage had became corroded inside which kept the idler wheel from being able to hit the motor capstan. This wasn't very easy to free up but it seemed to be OK after working at it for a while with some thin oil and finally getting it apart and cleaned up.

I have always admired the Dual brand tables being I am 50 years old now and I remember seeing a few throughout my younger years. I treasured my Marantz model 6300 TT but the Dual was something I always wanted so I asked my GF if her ex might be willing to sell me this one.

He wanted 50 bucks for it so I gave him the money and I had this TT connected to my stereo that's in my kitchen so it didn't get much use until a few months ago when I got back into spinning vinyl.

I purchased a new tube amp and a Bellari tube pre-amp and I was using my Marantz TT. This system is in my living room so I took the Dual from the kitchen system, hooked it up in the front room and I was totally blown away with it's sound quality. It had a Stanton 680 EEE cartridge in it, as well as my Marantz, but the sound was clearly much better than the Marantz or any of the other 4 TT's I own.

I just installed a Shure M97XE cartridge into the Dual because my 1812 Overture cannon shots were throwing the Stanton right out of the grooves. The Shure tracks it without a hitch. I think it's a great match for the Dual too.

Purchased At:   Girlfriends ex-husba

Submitted by elduque a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
After stumbling across a dozen or so reviews on the Dual 1229Q, I couldn't help but sign up and offer my sentiments for this great piece of audio gear.
Other than a few old used Garrard Turntables, this was my first 'new', off-the-shelf table. Bought it in '74, equipped with a Shure V15 III cartridge. Unfortunately, I was cash poor around 1980 and sold it. Now, 27 years (and six or eight turntables) later, I really find myself wishing I had that table back. Still, to this day (some 33 years later), I have not used a better turntable.The 1229Q just 'feels' solid. Operates quietly and reliably. Great suspension, super heavy platter. That table survived more college parties than I care to forget....and believe me, that is saying a lot.
I've seen one here or there, occasionally, and plan on picking up another when I see the right one.

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts

Submitted by Old-Hi-Fi-Nut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Frustrated by not being able to walk across the room when using my Linn Sondek, I dug out my old Dual 1229. After completely dissembling the turntable, I removed all of the 'automatic' mechanisms from the beneath the table in order to make it fully manual. Next, I removed the Dual tonearm and replaced it with a NOS Grace 747, and NOS Pickering SVX3000 cartridge.

After struggling quite some time break the motor open, I cleaned it and lubed the motor bearings with Mobil One Synthetic grease. Idler wheel was in excellent shape, and I further improved it by using a rubber reconditioning agent. The platter shaft both inner and outer were lubed with the above mentioned Mobil One grease.

What was I thinking when I bought the Linn? Pace, pitch and power! Bass like no tomorrow. Soundstage is unbelievable. I bought two spares on ebay for parts, though I can't imagine ever needing any. Remarkable build quality. In time, these will be as sought after as Garrard 301;s and Thorens 124s... Buy now while you can.

Submitted by Old-Hi-Fi-Nut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Submitted by Quietlymknnoise a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have Listened to my CD-4 Records for several years. I have just taken it to Adopt-A-Dual for a tune up. I know my Ghost will be able to play this turntable after me.

Purchased At:   Audio club Germany "

Atlantic Technology: