Denon DP 47F TurnTables

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

- Bi-directional servo control direct drive w/ linear drive motor.
- Dynamic servo tracer tonearm.
- Automatic record size and speed detection system.

Submitted by Frank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought this 'table new nearly 20 yrs. ago on a lark...it looked cool, but was direct drive (my critical listening is done with a SOTA). Fast forward a few decades and I'm now digitizing my 2,000+ LP collection and this deck is ideal. The automated features make the process very easy. Using an AT 440MLa.

Submitted by addman27 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've owned this table since 1996 and I gotta say I'm very impressed. All the reviews are accurate. So I'm not to be redundant. The table, (if you can find one) would make a great addition to anyones stereo system. With the right cartridge, (I have an Ortofon MC 3 Turbo) will provide a great stereo sound reproduction that stands up to turntables costing thousands of dollars more. I know I've compaired. It tracks warped records very well, has a "whisper quiet" direct drive motor that is a little "low torque," or on the weak side, but this machine holds up. Attractive, solid, and well built, it is a gem!

Submitted by Armando70 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
As a previous reviewer stated that the DP 47 has a sorta Star Wars-ish look to it...

Actually, if you look at the base of the servo-compu controlled tonearm it does resemble Boba Fett's/Jango Fett's space ship! That said, this Denon model was truly the final homage that the company paid to turntables of yesteryear that were just loaded with all sorts of fully automated bells and whistles. The exception being that while those turntables were more of a mechanical nature, The DP 47 incorporates some pretty smooth and sophisticated auto-servo technology in it's arm as well as in it's operational functions and controls laid out in the front bezel (outside of the dustcover---neat convenience for those times you want to play a record with the lid down).It's truly a couch potato's dream for full automation(detects record size,speed,automatically via the red-laser emitting post positioned in the right back rear of the plinth---ahhh, now that's what that does, who woulda thunk it!). Stature-wise, the DP 47F is the Denon DP 59L shrunken down a bit in size and contains a plethora of auto features NOT found on the DP 59L (the latter only contained an auto-lift arm mechanism).The other significant difference,also noted by another reviewer,is the low torque start up on this direct dirve quartz motor of the DP 47F.However,once up to accurate rotational speed it's pure analog-vinyl nirvana from there...

Now, the meat and potatoes of this great turntable system...As Forrest Gump would say, "I like it a lot!"---What's not to like about the DP 47F. I am currently using an Acutex 312 cartridge and stylus (similar looking to one of the Ortofon OM series). The DP 47F plays vinyl in what I consider to be a "polite" and clean sounding manner(if that makes any sense).There's this way that the DP 47F plays vinyl that I have never experienced on a Technics deck or on a JVC deck.Maybe it's the servo-Q damping circuitry doing it's job properly in which it cleans up any unwanted or extraneous tonearm resonance or extrenal and imposing acoustic vibrations from nearby speakers....In any case,as with my Denon DP 59L, I also experience this quiet and sweet,no noise or rumble level (many turntable belt drive advocates always criticize most direct drives for being too noisy and being able to hear some rumble from said turntable drives). Stereo separation and imaging is pretty good.Bass,mids,highs are produced accurate enough so as not to hear any smear or rolled off highs.At times, this system plays so clean that I do think I am listening to a cd player (in that "good" digital way---not the flat, non-3-dmensional ,piercing highs,cold sonic way)...

One of the biggest feats this 'table can accomplish is tracking those pesky slightly warped records---The only drawback, due to the collar design on the back of the tonearm that angles down, any large warps will get caught and bump the tonearm;This I found out with one particular album that contained a difficult warp on it---the Denon could trace it,no problem there, BUT when the warped bump went underneath the tonearm it tended to push the arm up causing the needle to mistrack...

Yes, this particualr model I have is from the mid 80's (later models into the 90's came with the black trim bezel, black brushed aluminum buttons, and black tonearm assembly). My point being that this mid 80's Denon DP 47F I own is a testament to how the company put a lot of thought and ingenuity into this deck as a final homage to full automatics of years passed. This is one durable 'table!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tadman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Hi

This is a funny TT. It looks quite Star Wars fashioned with it's robot controled tonearm.

In other words, I did not even thought that this was a decent player. I was wrong!

I had one in my room up for sale suited with a DL-160 cartridge.

At the same time I owned a Micro seiki DQX-1500 with MA-505 arm. I put on an Audio Note Soara Japan cartridge and the best step up in the world, The Super Nova!

Now the Micro had some of the best analog ever built to make a top performance, at least that was what I thought...

The Micro was incredebly bad sounding, I was stunned!

For comparison, I was curios, I smacked the Denon on with it's cheap high output cartridge without Nova.

It simply killed the other set up!!!

This is not, that the Denon must be that good, but, it's amazingly good compared to a Micro DQX 1500

For it's price it's a Rega killer as well.
Recommended for all low budgets fan. 5 stars according to low price!

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by bjm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Denon 51F not the 47F. I owned this table from new in 1983 until 2000. I found it to be a gnereally excelent vinyl player. Among the pluses: It is easy to set-up. Its automation reduces the risk of a cartridge's cantilever destruction from a momentary lapse in care. It can be adjusted to play all types of catridges-For the most part I used a Yamaha MC1, but also many moving magnets as well: Staunton 681EEE, Signet, Grado Signature.
The down-side for me was this deck's three breakdowns in the 18 years. Once it stopped working under warranty,the circuit board burned-out. It burned out a second time about five years later after running extremely fast for a period. In 2000 it stopped running again and I chucked it in the trash. So, while I haven't read of other similar experiences, I have mixed feelings about recommending this turntable.

Sennheiser: