Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX TurnTables

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by peter ehrlich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Am enjoying two of these Bang & Olufsen RX-2 turntables; lucky to get my folks oldie (1985 or 86), which mostly sat for many years and complemented their other B&O equipment. They mainly just listened to FM radio. My second RX-2 I just bought off of Craigslist, for $40 with the mmc-5. The folks unit is truly mint, equipped with MMC-2. The 2 has virtually perfect fidelity, having very low hours of previous use. The used buy (MMC-5) has much less bass crispness, and the upper ranges are a bit thin. However, both are playing my records beautifully, and my 80's retro components are set up in rack cabinets--one upstairs, one downstairs. Some of our guests drool! Let nature sing--Richard Betts is coming through my headphones right now, with an occasional click on pop. What a nostalgic trip!

Submitted by Jess Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
RX-2 is a sleek, beautiful machine with very reliable automatic operation, but with certain flaws in quality of materials that may give trouble as mine did: (1) chip controlling operation had to be replaced after about 2 years; (2) signal cables had to be replaced after about 7 years; (3) one cartridge (of 4) lost its stylus. None of these resulted from abuse, but I learned the hard way that solvent-based cleaners must not be used on the stylus. Initially purchased with MMC-4 cartridge (MMC-5 obviously substandard in store listening), upgraded to MMC-3 and then MMC-2, a very satisfactory stylus-cartridge combination. One further cautionary note on cartridges: in addition to normal wearing-out process and the fact that you can't replace the stylus without buying an entire cartridge, there is another limitation. The rubber holding the cantilever dries out over time; after about 5 years, you will likely experience severe and very audible signal degradation. Plan on buying new cartridges every 3 or 4 years even if you don't play records often, and beware of used cartridges or those gathering dust on a dealer's shelf. Star ratings reflect downgrading for reliability of an otherwise uniquely sophisticated turntable and cartridge. Note: RX-2 is no longer in production and parts may become hard to find. MMC-2 and MMC-4 are only available cartridges as of 2002; one is very affordable and the other is very good.

Purchased At:   Flanner & Hafsoos, M

Submitted by P-Trix a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Man, regardless of the sweet price ($65 Canadian) this turntable provides endless enjoyment of new and vintage LPs. I listen to everything from Nofx to Jim Croce and it all sounds superb. Despite its high sensitivity its a great player. Grab it if you can find one! Thinking of getting a NAD PP-1 preamp to clean up the sound.

Purchased At:   Traders (Second hand

Submitted by P-Trix a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Purchased At:   Traders (Second hand

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought my Bang & Olufsen RX2 turntable new, back in 1988. It still runs flawlessly and sounds great, rivaling my best CDs, with the original MMC2 cartrige/stylus. It has served me reliably and well over the years.
But the process of cleaning the records and stylus has become increasingly tedious, and, despite my best efforts, most of my LPs have degraded somewhat. And CDs are so much easier to play and preserve.
So I am currently in the process of transferring my remaining LPs (most of which are unavailable in CD form) to CD with my Pioneer CD-R recorder. Except for a few very exceptionally well recorded and pressed LPs, the transfers to CD are indistinguishable from the original LPs.
Soon I'll be done transferring my LPs, but I'll probably hold on to my RX2 a while longer. It shows no sign of faltering, and I occaisionally run across LP recordings that are not available in any other medium (most recently, some wonderful 20+ year-old releases on Japanese labels by the splendid tenor saxophonist, Billy Harper).
If you need a turntable, and you can find a B&O RX2 for sale in decent shape, it would be a great purchase.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys